VMware Cloud Community
sumitkumar
Contributor
Contributor

Can Single Virtual machine run on multiple hardwares boxes simultaniously?

Can one Virtual machine(ESX 3i) run on more than one physical servers simultaniously?

To be more clear, let us consider a scenario where a resource pool of physical servers is available and virtual machines are deployed on top of it. As per need virtual machine can be switched/shifted dynamically to best available hardware in the pool ensuring efficient utilization of hardware. In this case virtual machine will still be running on one physical server at any given point of time.

The question here is that can one virtual machine run on multiple hardwares at any point of time which can take benefit of aggregation of physical servers?

My context of using aggregation of physical hardware is that I want to do a performance testing on x86 servers and I do not have a high end machine in x86 servers. So if I can run virtual machine on aggregation of x86 hardwares then I do not need to procure high end x86 box.

Please clarify my doubt.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Hairyman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't believe this will be possible.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander

Can we run 1 host OS on two physical machine...cannot right...so VM itself is a like a host in the virtual environment and it sits on top of a driver called VMM which cannot be shared between 2 ESX servers.

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

sumitkumar
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick & helpful reply

0 Kudos
Erik_Zandboer
Expert
Expert

Right now this is impossible. But if you are patient, ESX will be able to do this in the future. Check out "VMware ESX fault tolerance" on google Smiley Happy

For example this one:

Visit my blog at

Visit my blog at http://www.vmdamentals.com
0 Kudos