VMware Cloud Community
bsdixon
Contributor
Contributor

CLARiiON SAN + ESX3

Hello All,

I am quite new to this SAN stuff, but have had some experience with ESX. I am currently using a CLARiiON CX3-40 Storage System and Navisphere to manage both my SP. To give you a better idea my rack looks like this. One Dell 2970 on top, two Dell 2950s both running ESX3 below that, each have two Qlogic HBAs. Fiber from the HBAs run to the storage processors. I am not sure how to approach this. What I need to do is have it so that the 2950 ESX servers store all their information on the SAN. I have read a few papers on this, but most have just been the theory of what each is and not necessarily practical use. I know I need to creat LUNs on the storage system and mount them on the ESX servers, but I am not sure how LUNs are looked at by ESX. I am also unsure as to how to find out if I am doing everything right. If anyone could has any documentation that assisted them or comments, it would greatly be appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
tklose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have a clarion CX300...with Brocade Fiber channel/switches, this might be similar.

A If the ESX servers have not been connected to the SAN, you will need to ZONE them in your Fiber switches fabric.

In basic terms, each server that needs access to the SAN must be identified, and zoned in the fiber switches first. Depending if you have multiple paths, and/or multiple fiber links...you can have several zone setups in the switch. Before starting...check to see if your server is visiable from the fiber switch ....use the Name server tab to see the servers WWN numbers....

1 First create an alias with the WWN of the host

2 Create the ZONE and add the host and the SAN's alias to this new zone.

3 Add the new zone group to the fabic Config members list. SAVE and ENABLE the config

B After the switch zoning is completed, you will need to scan and add the host connection to the SAN in navisphere. If you have the fibers drivers installed right..the servers may be automatically detected and added...if not you can manually add them. Right click the san and check connectivity and look for your servers WWN

C create the host group on the SANS for your ESX servers. Create and bind the luns you wish to this group.

D After the binding of luns completes, Go to the ESX consoles and re-scan for the luns. Once you see them, you can format them as you wish, ie: VMFS partitiions for your VM hosts to use.

>>>> Follow the fiber performance recommendations by VMWARE!!!...

If you have Dell gold support, you may need assistance......they will help...but will try to charge you for a install.

0 Kudos
boydd
Champion
Champion

Do you have a FC Switch in between the hosts and the storage (Brocade etc....)? Direct attach to the CX is not supported (As far as I know). I can move this thread to the ESX Intallation and Upgrade forum if you would like me to (Probably get a better response there).

DB

DB
0 Kudos
bsdixon
Contributor
Contributor

I do think direct attaching is supported as I have seen it done with our other setups. And I am also not using a fiber switch.

If you could move it I would appreciate that

0 Kudos
tklose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I have redundant FC switches between the hosts and SANS. I have dual fiber cards in each ESX host...so a total of 4 fiber paths to the sans.

I don't know if you can direct attach the host to the SANS....

0 Kudos
tklose
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The primary reason for the sans, is so many hosts can share its resources.....I would think a FC switch is a fundemental must have.

If you are direct attached, you are going to need help in migrating your current configuration into a Fiber switch so you can have many hosts.

Fiber switches are being replaced by ISCSI enviroments....which is easier to manage and I would go that route if you are building out. The FC switches, although are still very good and easy to manage, are considered a black art/specialty....so they can charge you surgical rates for support.

0 Kudos
mfunger
Contributor
Contributor

Just be aware that VCB may not play nice if Navisphere is installed on your VCB proxy.

Don't Panic.

Don't Panic.
0 Kudos