VMware Cloud Community
Ryan_1
Contributor
Contributor

Buslogic or LSIlogic

Hello

i dont understand the difference in scenario we use either Buslogic or LSIlogic SCSI controllers.

we have an issue with couple of our Linux VM's performance & found that only these VMs are using Buslogic, while others use LSIlogic.

i noticed the following lines in vmware.log in both of these VMs.

vcpu-0| BUSLOGIC: No xfer type for UNKNOWN (0xa0)

vcpu-1| BUSLOGIC: No xfer type for UNKNOWN (0xa0)

SOCKET 6 recv error 5: Input/output error

SOCKET 6 destroying VNC backend on socket error: 5

SOCKET 7 recv error 5: Input/output error

SOCKET 7 destroying VNC backend on socket error: 5

I doubt whether i need to change to LSIlogic

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ryan_1
Contributor
Contributor

does anybody face this issue....

still my vms are slow in performance. any idea that i need to change my SCSI controller type for my SUSE linux vms

0 Kudos
Pillai
Contributor
Contributor

As per my understanding Linux VM's support only LSILogic.

0 Kudos
elluminate
Contributor
Contributor

yes, Linux VM's definitely need to use LSI logic.

I started going through that issue a few weeks ago when I started building VM's, luckily however, this option can be changed in the "edit settings" area when the VM is turned off.

Cheers

Neil.

kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

In terms if disk I/O, the lsilogic driver is faster than the buslogic driver. Not all os's have built-in drivers for lsilogic, and for those, buslogic is the only option, unless you download the lsilogic driver, and build it into your ramdisk. See if you have mptscsi/mptscsih module loaded in your kernel, and if not, you will have to get it and load it before you can switch your controller/disk types from buslogic to lsi.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
Ryan_1
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for all your replies....it'll be very helpful for me to go towards the performance soln.

I have other SUSE Linux VMs running fine in LSI logic, so can i assume that SUSE linux VMs support LSIlogic?

0 Kudos
Pillai
Contributor
Contributor

Yes Suse Linux supports LSI Logic

0 Kudos