VMware Cloud Community
pwcnash
Contributor
Contributor

Best Hardware-HP for VI 3.01

Hi,

I have been asked to draft a hardware spec requirement for a new Vmware Virtual Infrastructure 3.01 that will host around 10 VMs. Most of them are going to be 64 bit OS. My company prefers HP servers and I am researching the system compatibility guide to select a server for VI 3.01. For initial stages, we are going to have only 4 vms on the server and later a SAN is going to be used for additional VMs. Can any one tell me a HP server best suited for my case?

Thanks,

Nash

0 Kudos
22 Replies
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

The HP DL385G2 with AMD Opterons is a great server at a great price. I've been using DL585 and DL385 servers and just got a new DL385G2 with SAS disk and have been very impressed with it.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/en/WF05a/15351-15351-3328412-241644-241475-3219233.html

Here's some links that may help...

VMware ESX Server: A comprehensive guide to how ESX virtualizes HP ProLiant servers - http://h20331.www2.hp.com/ActiveAnswers/downloads/vmwareESXserver_virtualize_ProLiant_1005.pdf

HP ProLiant server sizer for VMware ESX Server - http://h71019.www7.hp.com/activeanswers/cache/120132-0-0-0-121.html

IT Consolidation using VMware CapacityPlanner on HP ProLiant servers - http://h71019.www7.hp.com/ActiveAnswers/cache/70314-0-0-225-121.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

I agree with Eric, the DLx85G2 are great workhorses.

If you have the budget go for the DL585G2's - they are better expandable then the smaller ones

Message was edited by:

oreeh

replaced the DL586 with DL585

esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

DL586? You know something I don't Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

not really - it's rather a problem of the laptop keyboard and my thick fingers Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Don't the X80's (intel series) have the nested pages, and other Virtualization support in the processors that the AMDs don't have yet? I remember something vaguely about it from VMWorld 2006.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

The question is - is this supported from ESX?

0 Kudos
murreyaw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was under the impression, perhaps falsely, that the Hypervisor was able to take full advantage of a few of the Intel technologies.

0 Kudos
pwcnash
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot guys!! I very much appreciate it.

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

Correct, but not nested pages yet. I have heard there will be support in ESX 3.1.

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

When the Quad Core AMD Barcelona DL-385 CPUs are released hopefully as soon as September (???) the 385 will be the de facto standard for HP AMD servers:

\- 8 Cores

\- 16GB of inexpensive memory (32GB+ of more expensive memory)

\- 4 PCI slots for NIC and HBA redundancy options.

The DL-585 will have it's place, but I think you will see less people buying them.

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
esiebert7625
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah the 585's are kind of pricey. I'd rather go with more cheaper servers then fewer bigger servers. You can easily get 2 DL385's for the price of a 4-way DL585.

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I think you will see blades will over take standard rack mount servers in medium to large size vi deployments. The HP BL685s are already a very sweet platform with 8 ( 4 x dual core )cores and 32 GB of RAM. They also have 2 onboard nics plus 3 mezzanine slots for HBA and NIC redundancy.

0 Kudos
bjsthans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

HI !

Actually the BL685c has 4 onboard network cards (as does the other full hegiht server, the BL480c)

From the QuickSpec:

Network Controller:

Four (4) integrated network adapters consisting of:

One (1) embedded NC326i Dual[/b] Port Gigabit Server Adapter

Two (2) embedded NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapters with TCP/IP Offload Engine, including support for Accelerated iSCSI through optional ProLiant Essentials Licensing Kits

Plus one (1) additional 10/100 NIC dedicated to iLO 2 Management

Kind regards

0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks!

It must have been getting late Smiley Sad

I have 8 of these and should have known that.

0 Kudos
MattG
Expert
Expert

Is HW redundancy a non issue with blades?

I am still leary of literally putting all of my servers in one basket.

Individual servers give redundancy at the server HW level and I can easily move the server to another rack for rack/power redundancy.

I can see entertaining blades if I was going to buy 16+ servers at once, but adding a max of less than 8 hosts a year does not seem like a good fit. Also, you really need to buy and configure a second enclosure to give better redundancy.

-MattG

-MattG If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
VirtualNoitall
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We have two separate power runs to each rack regardless of standard rack mount servers or blades so power redundancy is a non issue.

The chassis are fully redundant and offer better power consumption and lower cooling needs as compare to equivalent rack mount servers

Cable consolidation through, consolidated iLo ports, integrated ethernet and fibre switches can also amount to large savings; reducing the drain on core switch ports.

We worked very hard with the vendor on pricing and our blade environment is cheaper than a standard rack mount environment.

Also have a look at the virtual connect modules. There is some very cool functionality there with the virtualization of MACs and WWNs.

Basically a rack for us is a series of 4 chassis that will fill up as needed. As I said before it is not for small shops if you just don't have the capacity requirements but for most others you will see a move in this direction

Also, have a look at HPs datacentre consolidation project. They are moving from something like 86 datacentre to 6 that will be built on a foundation of Blades + SAN + VMware. That was the ultimate validation for us and our direction once we saw we were doing exactly what they were.

0 Kudos
adolopo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tend to agree.

When it comes down to it, I don't think HP is any better than DELL. It's just \*better* than DELL.

People who have had the opportunity to mess with both brands know what I'm talking about.

0 Kudos
aleph0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

completely agree.

\mf

\aleph0 ____________________________ http://virtualaleph.blogspot.com/ ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
petedr
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We have a lot of success with the HP Proliant DL385 Dual Core.

www.thevirtualheadline.com www.liquidwarelabs.com
0 Kudos