VMware Cloud Community
micromacromonke
Contributor
Contributor

Any movement on support for the Intel P965 chipset in VI3.0.1?

Hi all

There was a thread a few months ago on here discussing Intel P965 chipsets. The consensus was that the 965 chipset didn't work properly on VI3.0.1 due to the lack of DVD/CD drive support in that chipset (requiring either ftp or a USB DVD drive), but an imminent update might help.

Pity, cos a P965 board is now $75 and it'll accept 8GB of DDR2 RAM, pretty good deal. In fact the Foxconn one has an extra old-school single IDE channel onboard so would this get around the problem? I already have an intel pro100 and adaptec PCI SCSI setup so no issues there. My current board's 2GB maximum is annoying...

In fact if anyone in Aus wants a supported pro100 NIC for their home/test setup let me know, I bought a bag of 5 for $1!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership

Hello,

I imagine there will be no support for this in the 3.0.1 as VMware is working on the next release. Perhaps it is in there, you will need to make an enhancement request to support this chipset through your VMware support group.

Best regards,

Edward

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
0 Kudos
djmasters
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'll toss up a "ditto" along those lines. I'm using an older nForce 4 Ultra & single-core Athlon64 and I'd like to step up to Quad-core Intel & board. My current board will support X2's, but it's a Socket 939 and the choices there are a little limited. Already got it loaded with 4G of RAM.

I'll guess that since the P965 chipset isn't very well supported that a P35 is even less likely. "Quad's" and 8G would be nice, might as well get all I can out of VI Starter Edition!!

Is the only real problem with the P965 the lack of CD/DVD support? I have an external USB CD/DVD that I could use. This is not a production system, just a sandbox for me to play in.

0 Kudos