VMware Cloud Community
JFitchVMA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After 3.0.1 upgrade from 3.0 Guest Customization no longer available

Over the weekend I upgraded one of my ESX 3.0 servers to 3.0.1, and now when I create a VM from a template the guest customization checkbox is not available. Is there something that I might have missed during the upgrade that disabled this, or do some of the permissions get reset? (I'm looking into that now). Thanks in advance for any help

Jonathon Fitch blog: atangledweb.net Virtualization enthusiast and advocate
0 Kudos
6 Replies
avarcher
Commander
Commander

I've searched the documentation but I cant find what I'm looking for, I'm sure the location for the sysprep files changed from the allusers profile to programfiles\vmware\.... path when 300 became 301.

Check to see if there is a sysprep subdir under 'program files\vmware' etc and see if it is populated.

Sorry about the scattiness but I'm working from memory. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
JFitchVMA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't see sysprep anywhere on the Virtual server. I thought perhaps it was the older version of VMWare tools, but I updated that and it didn't make a difference. Is there something within ESX that contains sysprep and the files to customize a guest os?

0 Kudos
acr
Champion
Champion

Not sure myself if its moved, but look at page 346..

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_admin_guide.pdf

JFitchVMA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Those are there, under All Users, but this started happening once I upgrade the ESX server to 3.0.1. Is there a patch I'm not aware of to support 3.0.1? Currently my VC server is version 2.0.1 build 32042.

0 Kudos
JFitchVMA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As it turns out the sysprep files were not in the right location on the virtual center server, once I replaced them they worked fine again.

0 Kudos
mweiss
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jonathon -

what ended up being "the right location on the virtual center server" for the sysprep files?

thanks!

0 Kudos