VMware Cloud Community
rjsetford
Contributor
Contributor

Adding additional storage

Hello,

I'd like to add some directly attached additional storage to my ESX 3.5 host running on an HP DL380 G5.

I'm thinking of adding the following:

1 x SmartArray P800 Array Controller

1 x Modular SmartArray 50 Enclosure

10 x 146GB SFF SAS disks

Adding the hardware is the easy bit. What do I need to do to assign the new disk space as available storage space within ESX 3.5?

Please let me know if you require any further info

Thanks,

Richard

Windows 3.1 to 2003 Exchange 5.5 to 2003 VMware ESX 3.0.1 to 3.5 Linux (Name a distro, I've probably tried it)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

You can use "kudzu" to detect new hardware devices and use "fdisk -l" to check your disk info. You can view more details here.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems LLC.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

From the VI client you click on configuration --> storage adaptors. Rescan the adapter that storage is attached to. Then from storage, you add new storage it should see the new disks, allow you to format them as new volumes, and setup a VMFS volume.

That's pretty much it.

rjsetford
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that RPaker.

I though that would be the case but wanted to have it confirmed.

I don't have the luxury of a test environment so I need to double check things before I commit.

Thanks again,

Rich

Windows 3.1 to 2003 Exchange 5.5 to 2003 VMware ESX 3.0.1 to 3.5 Linux (Name a distro, I've probably tried it)
0 Kudos