VMware Cloud Community
bheusmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Added Virtual Switch...Now Can't Access ESX Host

I have a ESX host configured with 2 virtual switches. One switch was configured on the first physical NIC for the Production network with service console assigned to 10.20.10.16 and the second virtual switch was configured on the second physical NIC for Mission servers which are in a 10.20.41.x subnet. Both had VLAN * (none specified)

The problem, I think what happened is someone tried to add another virtual switch, and added vmnic0 to it which was already servicing the first virtual switch vswitch0. Now I can't access the ESX host in Virtual Center. It shows as not responding with a red exclimation mark. I can't even ping the service console from the network, I get no response. I have physical access to the ESX host, but don't know where to start in trying to remove the virtual switch that was added improperly.

Thanks.

Bryan

Sr. Systems Engineer, USAID

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dinny
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hiya,

From the console you can use the following commands to remove a vmnic from a vmswitch

I've had to do the same in the past Smiley Wink

For example (to remove vmnic5 from vSwitch0)

esxcfg-vswitch –U vmnic5 vSwitch0 (to remove the new vmnic) – note the capital “S”

service network restart (to restart networking)

Dinny

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Santhosh_vmware
Jump to solution

Hi,

Can you paste the output of the following

#esxcfg-vswitch -l

#esxcfg-nics -1

regards

santhosh

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hiya,

From the console you can use the following commands to remove a vmnic from a vmswitch

I've had to do the same in the past Smiley Wink

For example (to remove vmnic5 from vSwitch0)

esxcfg-vswitch –U vmnic5 vSwitch0 (to remove the new vmnic) – note the capital “S”

service network restart (to restart networking)

Dinny

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

From the console

List all the vswitches to identify the new one - assume vswitch3

esxcfg-vswitch -l

Remove vmnic0 from vswitch3

esxcfg-vswitch -U vmnic0 vSwitch3

Add vmnic0 back to vswitch0

esxcfg-vswitch -L vmnic0 vSwitch0

bheusmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The output of the file says something about /etc/esx.conf being locked. I'm at anothe location today but may be able to get back over there to get the exact message. Also, what's the command to remove a virtual switch? I see the vSwitch2 listed in the output of #esxcfg-vswitch -l and this switch doesn't need to be there at all. Also, the output of the #esxcfg-vswitch lists the first tow switches created, vSwitch1 for the Mission has vmnic1 assigned to it and I can still access those servers however, vSwitch0 doesn't have a vmnic assigned to it and I can't access them. Sorry, it should be clearer when I can post the output messages. Thanks.

-Bryan

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

esxcfg-vswitch --help

will give you a list of all the options (-d to delete a vswitch)

Dinny

bheusmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Dinny and everyone for your help. I was a lil rusty on the command line, but the info you posted allowed me to solve the issue. I deleted the vSwitch2 that was created and then reassigned vmnic0 back to vSwitch0 witch serviced the production network. Also, I installed another Gig NIC and created a new vSwitch2 properly and assigned vmnic2 to the new swithc created for the ANE Region domain. Thanks again.

Bryan

Sr. Systems Engineer, USAID

0 Kudos