VMware Cloud Community
rayan68
Contributor
Contributor

Add VMkernel for VMotion

I have a blade system and currently I have 3 host , I use 192.168.25.0 and 255.255.255.0 subnet , I have 4 NIC in each host , my plan to make 2 NIC for VC and V. Machine ,I don't have that much V.Machines total around 18 machines will be located in 3 hosts , and I will make one NIC for my NetApp filer (iSCI) , and the last NIC will be for VMotion , I already create the NIC teaming , the isci for my filer but everytime I want to create the Vmotion it give me this massage (Error during configuration of the host: SysinfoExcetion: NodeID(17) ; Status(195887109)=Already exists;Message=Unable to Set.

also can I add the VMotion and isci in the same NIC if I want to save the last NIC for some other solution because I don't have that much vmotion activities or that will effect the performance ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
23 Replies
joboo12
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Mike..

I think I should also include that I am actually referencing 3i installable, which from my limted knowledge of VMWare is quite different than 3.5.

Mike in my Dev 3i environment I do not have a Service Console Gateway field that is separate VMKernel Gateway like the one in your screenshot. I guess this is just one of many differences in 3i.

Carter, In light of this 3i/3.5 mixup I'm sure this doesn't help our conversations in the NFS Storage thread. Sorry about that. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Your welcome,,

3i is out of my scope of experience, I know from reading that 3i is different.

You can still follow the fundamental best practices presented here and everthing will work well.

Mike

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos
marccrowther
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

what would the correct seetings be for the adpator teaming config - in terms of the load balancing policy etc when connecting to an iscsi device?

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

This is the setting I have and every thing is working well. I would like to experiment with them if time permits. The important thing is to have a second path in case one goes down. I place mine across two physical switches. This way you can have a network switch maint cycle or failure etc. and the connection carries on without interruption.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
0 Kudos