VMware Cloud Community
fvogel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Add/Extend Datastore

Hi,

I have added 2 new drives internally to my ESX's (VI3 3.5/VC2.5) raid 5 array and i would like to either make the datastore 'storage1' bigger or add a new datastore with the new space. My preference is to increase the size of the existing datastore.

I have gone into the configuration tab, chosen storage, and then properties. I see that there is an 'Add Extent' button. The insturctions seem to indicate that this will do what i want. When 'Add Extent' dialog option opens it starts in the 'Extent Device' step. There is an area on the screen for a list of devices; but this list is empty. There is an input box that says 'SAN indentifier'. I don't know how to proceed. Can someone please assist me.

Thanks,

Fred

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In order to add an extent to your existing datastore, the space has to be presentd to the ESX host before it will show up as available to add as an extent. If you make the RAID5 array larger, then you'll have to take the enlarged space, and create a partition out of it, as it will not automatically be recognized as available for use. One you partition it, and configure it with fb as partition type, you should be able to add it as an extent.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In order to add an extent to your existing datastore, the space has to be presentd to the ESX host before it will show up as available to add as an extent. If you make the RAID5 array larger, then you'll have to take the enlarged space, and create a partition out of it, as it will not automatically be recognized as available for use. One you partition it, and configure it with fb as partition type, you should be able to add it as an extent.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Technically speaking, it is not recommended to add extents so design it with best practices. You should have other options besides adding extents, so what are you trying to accomplish?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
fvogel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks KJB, i got my system upgrade with no problems.

0 Kudos
fvogel
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

azn2kew,

I was trying to increase the size of my datastore or add a new datastore. I ended up adding a new datastore. Please elaborate on what you mean by "best practices". I'm asking the question because I don't know the best practices and telling me that doesn't end up helping. If you have a link to a document or have some best practices advice i would be happy to see this information so taht I can learn to better utilize my ESX system.

Thanks for your comment and willingness to pitch in on my question.

Fred

0 Kudos