VMware Cloud Community
VirUser
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

64 bits: host and guest OS. Plus 3d aceleration

Hi,

I have a vista 64bits OS has an host.

I believe I need a 64 bits vmware installation, right?

Also, what about the guest OS? Must they be 64 bits versions also? Or can they be 32 bits?

Im putting this questions at ESX forum but I would like to take in mind the workstations versiosn of vmware.

Finally, is it possible to run 3D graphics (for instance for games) ina vmware OS?

Anyone has tried this before?

thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

-

No .., the 64 bit feature will depend on the CPU's model, if your CPU or processor is 64 bit and if it supports Virtualization ( for intel it's VT and for AMD it's AMD-V ) you can install the 64-bit os

Also, what about the guest OS? Must they be 64 bits versions also? Or can they be 32 bits? --- You can have both 32 and 64 bit OS ( if cpu is supporting virtualization) ,, otherwise only 32 bit osFinally, is it possible to run 3D graphics (for instance for games) ina vmware OS?

-

I heard for newer version of workstation 6.5 it is supported but i will say search for it,

hope this will help ,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

-

No .., the 64 bit feature will depend on the CPU's model, if your CPU or processor is 64 bit and if it supports Virtualization ( for intel it's VT and for AMD it's AMD-V ) you can install the 64-bit os

Also, what about the guest OS? Must they be 64 bits versions also? Or can they be 32 bits? --- You can have both 32 and 64 bit OS ( if cpu is supporting virtualization) ,, otherwise only 32 bit osFinally, is it possible to run 3D graphics (for instance for games) ina vmware OS?

-

I heard for newer version of workstation 6.5 it is supported but i will say search for it,

hope this will help ,

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Finally, is it possible to run 3D graphics (for instance for games) ina vmware OS?

No. The problem is you cannot virtualize the video card. It's an emulated video. Plus the drivers in a VM will not be able to talk directly to the hardware, so you can't get the proper drivers to work. And then the VM itself is virtualized CPU / Memory so it will be much slower over all especially for VM graphics, so you shouldn't expect to run games in a VM, your performance will be severely diminished.