VMware Cloud Community
Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

3i and UPS Support on an HP DL

If you cant gain access to the console, how do you configure support for a UPS?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You're not going to be able to get ssh access or add an agent in the console for ESXi. You could

1) Install the agent in the RCLI VM appliance and then have it shutdown the host (i.e. it would function pretty much like the service console does today).

2) Install the RCLI Windows package on your VC server and then have the UPS agent run a script which shuts down your host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
piercelynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Depends what UPS you are using.. I understand that only a few work, in particular APC based devices. So bit more information may help here ...

0 Kudos
Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is an APC networked unit with a supported rpm for esx. How do you install it if you cant gain access to the console?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
piercelynch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well... if you can't gain access to the console, and indeed wish to have it on the ESX host - it is not possible... you would need access to run anything outside to functionality of VC, even more so if you are not actually interacting with the VM's themselves.

0 Kudos
Sneeky_Geek
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a solution to this? I have a Dell server running 3i and haven't been able to figure out how to get the APC UPS to shut down the host. I can get the guests to shut down but not the host...

0 Kudos
Ritmo2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sneeky,

I have been holding buying some seats of this software untill someone (you would think anyone at vmware could answer this????) can tell me this question.

Can you get ssh access to the host? I suppose one could automate a shutdown with ssh keys.

I wonder if someone shutdown the host and rebooted with a distro dvd and moutned the root partition and added apcupsd or something?

jlc

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You're not going to be able to get ssh access or add an agent in the console for ESXi. You could

1) Install the agent in the RCLI VM appliance and then have it shutdown the host (i.e. it would function pretty much like the service console does today).

2) Install the RCLI Windows package on your VC server and then have the UPS agent run a script which shuts down your host.

0 Kudos
jakewilliams
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dave,

Not to sound rude, but have you tried this? I have the RCLI appliance set up and have the Windows package installed, and I don't see any commands that would let me shut down the ESXi box - just configuration commands.

I'm not sure how you would get support for a UPS to shut down an ESXi host. I'll be opening a ticket with VMWare today to see if they have any clue yet.

Jake Williams

0 Kudos