VMware Cloud Community
dave01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

3.5 Update 1 Vmotion Failure

I have upgraded some esx 3.5 servers to update 1, along with some other updates using update manager, and have found we cannot vmotion to the host that has the Update 1 installed.

We have found that a VM with the latest tools can be vmotioned to the ESX host.

Has anyone else has this issue? We could upgrade the rest of the ESX hosts, but I would have to restart all the VM's before moving them, so we cannot make this change without disrupting all of the VM's

Is there any known work-around?

Yes, I do understand that the VM's should have their tools upgraded anyway but it would be preferable not to have to do this all at once.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Do you receive any errors when trying to VMotion? Can you do a vmkping to the vmotion IP of the other host? I had a situation today where I updated a host to 3.5 update 1 and couldn't vmotion from a 3.01 host. I received a time out when trying to vmotion. I went in to look some logs and did a vmkping, which was successful, and the next time I tried it magically worked.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
dave01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah I have tested with vmkping, but the vmotion still times-out before the upgrade to update 1 vmoton worked fine also.

I have encounted that issue you mention before but this time there is something else going on

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

What kind of errors do you see in the vmkernel log when the vmotion times out? What about any errors located under task & events in VirtualCenter?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
dave01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have since updated everying to ESX 3.5 Update 1, updated the VMtools on the VM's and now vmotion works fine between all hosts

0 Kudos