VMware Edu & Cert Community
techfour
Contributor
Contributor

VMware certification paths

Hello Everyone,

If someone can provide some guidance on how to proceed I will appreciate it.

I need advise on what exact training and material I should be using to pursue VMware certifications. So far I found some information on the following site -> VMware Certification Guide: Overview and Career Paths

The site provides the following categories for certification. So I guess I should do them in this order -> VCA -> VCP -> VCAP -> VCDX

• VMware Certified Associate (VCA)
  • VMware Certified Professional (VCP)
  • VMware Certified Advanced Professional (VCAP)
  • VMware Certified Design Expert (VCDX)

Currently I have access to the following VMware training from CBT Nuggets but by looking at the release dates is seems to be outdated.

VMware Horizon 6 (with View)             Release date 2/4/2015

VMware VCA-DCV                               Released date 10/2/2014

VMware vSphere 5.5 VCP5-DCV        Released date 8/25/2014

VMware vSphere 6 (VCP6-DCV)         Released date 8/31/2015

VMware vSphere 6.5 (VCP6.5-DCV)   Released date 7/27/2017

Thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There is only 1 VCA certification on Digital Business Transformation - the training is free, the exam is cheap, it's not a pre-requisite for any of the higher level certifications such as VCP - more on it here: VMware Certified Associate - Digital Business Transformation (VCA-DBT)

For VCP and above, there are 4 separate solution tracks - Data Center Virtualization (DCV), Desktop & Mobility (DTM), Network Virtualization (NV), and Cloud Management & Automation (CMA) - after you have your first VCP you can go deeper (with VCAP/VCDX) or broader (with multiple VCPs).

VCP certifications have 3 mandatory requirements:

1. Attend an authorised training course (the CBT Nuggets ones are not authorised)

2. Pass a vSphere Foundations exam (this is generic across all 4 solution tracks)

3. Pass the VCP exam

Have a good look through this mini-site and the various pages - it should answer most other questions for you: Certification

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
bowdy25
Contributor
Contributor

VCA-DCV  Was retired as of Dec 31 2017 and the succeeding cert is VCA6-DCV, I had a lot of success and confidence after reading and quizzing myself with the Sybex brand, "VCA-DCV Study Guide book written by Robert Schmidt and Dane Charlton, couple that with the free online resource on the VMWare website:

Data Center Virtualization Fundamentals [V6]

https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrCourse/collections/view.cfm?c=96297&task=6466445&ui=www_edu

Its a mock up exam of 25 questions simulated to the pool of questions you might closely receive on the actual exam, I would schedule to take the exam after I had received a 100% 5-6 times straight if I were you.

- GOOD LUCK

0 Kudos