VMware Edu & Cert Community
rajugupta
Contributor
Contributor

VCA-DCV or VCA6-DCV?

Hello Friends,

Currently I'm working on Vmware vSphere 5.5. Now I have planned get VCA-DCV certificate.

Now I'm totally unable to take decision about  VCA-DCV or VCA6-DCV. Please suggest me.

Thanx in advance

Raju Gupta

0 Kudos
11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VCAs are somewhat technology-based, but a lot around concepts rather than technical details - so you should be able to do either.

VMware don't quote a "months/years of experience" for VCAs, any hands-on you've already had should help you.

I'd go for VCA6-DCV just because it's new/current, but review the exam objectives for both.

VCA - Download the exam blueprint: (VCA-DCV) VCA-Data Center Virtualization

VCA6 - Review the exam topics: VCA6-DCV Exam

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
rajugupta
Contributor
Contributor

As I'm working on VMware vSphere 5.5, Should I go for VCA6 & VCP6 certification?

Or as per work experience about 5.5 I should go for VCA5 & VCP5?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Why are you wanting to get certified?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
rajugupta
Contributor
Contributor

I want to learn about VMWare in more depth and better opportunity for career growth.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you've already worked with vSphere I doubt the VCA would benefit you that much - have you looked through the exam objectives? The "Fundamentals" training talks about most of what you need to know, and it's only 3 hours long.

I would suggest moving to VCP level, the latest for vSphere being VCP6-DCV: VCP6-DCV Certification

0 Kudos
rajugupta
Contributor
Contributor

So what you suggest for me VCP or VCP6, as I'm working on vSphere 5

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Here are your current options - I wouldn't want to recommend which path you take as I don't know if the work you have already done or will do is aligned to the training or the exam objectives.

VCP5-DCV only:

Train on vSphere 5.x

Pass the VCP510 or VCP550 exam

VCP6-DCV only:

Train on vSphere 6.x

Pass the 2V0-620 and 2V0-621 exams

VCP5-DCV and VCP6-DCV:

Gain your VCP5-DCV as above

Pass the 2V0-621D exam

vSphere 5 training is already becoming less frequently offered, training providers shift fairly quickly to offering the latest version courses.

0 Kudos
rajugupta
Contributor
Contributor

thank you very much.. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jmario_se
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,  I had this doubt,  so  I want to ber certified in VCP6-DCV, newer.   (My main goal)

But, VCA-DCV is easier than VCA6-DCV, and I dont have any certification on vmware yet.   I'll do VCA-DCV and after I study an take VCP6-DCV Certification!

this is my plan.

0 Kudos
rmkohl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi friends, I am certified as VCA DCV / Cloud / Workforce Mobility I want to know how I can be certified as VCP or if I do the VCA6 Smiley Sad

Thank you

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It's up to you - have you benefitted from your VCAs?

Most people would push towards a VCP level certification, but there is a training requirement you would have to meet in order to do that.

You can review the requirements for each individual VCA6 or VCP6 starting here: VMware Certification

0 Kudos