VMware Edu & Cert Community
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

New certifications: VMware Certified Technical Associate

[Posting this in the VCA forum area in the absence of a dedicated VCTA area]

VMware Learning have released a new "starter" technical certification level - VMware Certified Technical Associate (VCTA) - aimed at those working in Day 2 Operations types of roles.

The initial line-up includes 3 VCTAs:

Digital Workspace (DW) and Cloud Management & Automation (CMA) versions will follow.

These new certifications are at a lower level than VCP and do not have a formal training requirement (although recommended training for each will be released soon) - the mandatory element of each VCTA is the passing of the corresponding exam.

Here's my blog post on the VCTAs: VMware Training and Certification: New Certifications - VMware Certified Technical Associate (VCTA)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
3 Replies
bseklecki_BOFH
Contributor
Contributor

It is probably about 4 years too late, but:

I notice that there is no book (other than the official study guide, only available in Kindle format) in the ether that covers to the new: VMware Certified Technical Associate (VCTA) (VCTA-DCV 2023 ) 1V0-21.20

However, Amazon is still hawking the 2015 VCAD-510 Sybex book from Robert Schmidt and Dane Charlton.

Is there a list of what is new/changed in from [VCAD-510] to [ VCTA-DCV 2023 ) 1V0-21.20 ] ?

Or would a simple answer be: "Everything that has changed from vSphere v5.0 to vSphere v8.0" ?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VCTA certifications aren't just the "new name" for what were the VCA certifications, their scope and level of technical detail are also different.

I don't personally see much value in buying a VCA book for vSphere 5.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
bseklecki_BOFH
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, this much is evident from looking at Community-developed study resources on the topic available on Quizlet.com 

It is not longer just the "VMWare Deputy-Junior-Associate Pre-Sales Engineer Certificate" (as I was beginning to understand VCAD-510 to be); there are actually some technical questions about how the software behaves.   

When I realized that, I rescheduled my exam.

Looking forward to seeing a book (maybe it is someone's retirement plan); someone should really get Amazon to stop selling the old one (it should be out of print)

Thank you for your efforts.

~BAS

0 Kudos