VMware Edu & Cert Community
AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere 5.1 on VCP5

Hey,

Currently studing to do my VCP5 after doing the ICM course last month.  I just noticed vSphere 5.1 has come out so was wondering do I know need to learn the new items on that, such as vmotion without shared storage etc for the VCP5 exam or is it not updated that quick?

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VCP 5 exam test you on the things common to 5.0 and 5.1.  This is the case for 4.0 and 4.1.

If the max number of VM support is X in 5.0 and Y in 5.1 then the exam will not ask you for what is the max number of VM support since they are different in 5.0 and 5.1

Good luck on your exam.

AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, makes sense.

Appriciated!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VCP exams are normally generic across minor versions, so VCP410 is generic across 4.0 and 4.1.

Keep an eye on the exam blueprint for VCP510 as VMware could choose to update it to reflect 5.1 features - if they do the exam items will change too: http://www.vmware.com/go/vcp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
JDLangdon
Expert
Expert

How does this announcement effect the new VCP5 Certification Guide which was released last week?  Is this book still relevent to the exam?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As stated, minor version differences do not normally form part of the VCP exam - so if the answer for 5.0 would be different with 5.1 that item will be updated to make it generic or removed from the exam altogether.

What that means is that unless VMware update the blueprint you can study using 5.0 OR 5.1 - that applies to the software, books, the documentation - hence my advice to check the blueprint...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
musmani1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Scott, JDLangdon and  Anthony

Just need to know ... I have passed my exam "VCP510 VMware Certified Professional on vSphere 5" on Sunday, August 19, 2012   without getting official training from vMware ... but I think the course  I studied is on vsphere5.0 rather than 5.1, I done so because I am waiting for company to sponsor my training ... Now they are doing this year Smiley Happy

The course I am looking now is VMware vSphere Fast Track v5.1 from vMware , Is this training course + my exam that I have already passed would make me officially certified and I'll get the vMware official Certificate as vSphere5.1 certified?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sort of, but there is no 5.1-specific certification - you will be certified for vSphere 5.

You will get certified when you've taken the training - it does not matter that the exam was on 5.0 and the training will be on 5.1.

As you're taking the training after the exam, you will need to email certification@vmware.com once you've finished the training to ask them to validate your certification status.

0 Kudos