VMware Edu & Cert Community
timevisser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vCenter

I am ready to install vCenter for my home lab.  However, I cannot find 5.1 version.  Is it embeded in vSphere 5.1?  Please help!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
14 Replies
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Correct. It is within the vSphere 5.1 download: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphere/5_1

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
timevisser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Great, that helps and thank you.  Next question, I am following the Ultimate vSphere Lab and have installed Workstation 9.  Learning here, so thanks for the patience in advance.  Does it matter if I download and install Enterprise Plus or do I have to install vSphere Desktop version since I am using Workstation?

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Enterprise Plus is what you'll want to use. It will come with a trial period. The Desktop edition is for VMware View virtual desktop use cases.

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM
Jump to solution

Its actually all the same binary download (one ESXi download, one vCenter app download).  Your license key determines the features and limitations.

0 Kudos
timevisser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the informaition.  What I am not finding once I extracted the zipped file is the autorun.   The file I downloaded was VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0-799733.x86_64.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM
Jump to solution

You downloaded ths CD image of the ESXi installer.  vCenter (application installation) is VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.1.0-947939.iso

0 Kudos
timevisser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After I got your comment, I could not download it.  I called VMware support and they said I had the latest correct version and I should be able to autorun.  Well I still cannot and I still cannnot download the version that was recommended to me in this community.  Guess I will have to call support again. 

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM
Jump to solution

This is the ESXi hypervisor install for a new baremetal host.  It arrives as an 300MB ISO image to burn to a CD. This sets up a host to run virtual machines on. This ISO will not have an autorun file. This is the latest binary.

VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0-799733.x86_64.iso
File size:301M
File type: iso
Release Date:2012-09-10
Build Number:799733

ESXi 5.1 ISO image (Includes VMware Tools)
Boot your server with this image in order to install or upgrade to ESXi. This ESXi image includes VMware Tools. NOTE: ESXi requires 64-bit capable servers.

MD5SUM:fda2bed9a305b868dcbdc15c6ab6c153 SHA1SUM:8c54a4390d98a94a7d759960dc605b41b49d5946
Download Manager

This is the vCenter Application install for Windows.  It arrives as a 3.4GB ISO to burn to a DVD. This sets up the management server.  This ISO will have an autorun file.  This is the latest binary.

VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.1.0-947939.iso
File size:3.4G
File type: iso
Release Date:2012-12-20
Build Number:947939

VMware vCenter Server 5.1.0b and modules
Installer for vSphere Single Sign On, VMware vCenter Server, VMware vSphere Client and Web Client, VMware vSphere Update Manager, VMware vSphere Update Manager Download Service, VMware vCenter Orchestrator, vSphere ESXi Dump Collector, vSphere Syslog Collector, vSphere Auto Deploy, VMWare Log Browser, and VMware vSphere Authentication Proxy. NOTE: vSphere Single Sign On, VMware vSphere Update Manager, VMware vCenter and Web Client requires 64-bit capable servers for installation and execution.

MD5SUM:961288c4359d659f2fd87bf14eef8430 SHA1SUM:c9cf02717c4d4d0ac0999802b939366ff8847f0a
Download Manager
0 Kudos
timevisser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I appreciate the help but I am stuck.  I have downloaded two evaluations, VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0-799733.x86_64.iso and VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.1.0-947939.iso.  I am following Sammy Boerlowie's blog which has the Ultimate vSphere Lab tutorial.  Very well done.  However, it currently does not support 5.1 and Workstation 9.  I have been able to get through the first 7 parts without any real challenges.  However, when it comes to this step, copied from Sammy Boerlowie's blog, I am stuck.

Cut from Boerlowie Blog"

Now that we have the SQL stuff covered, it’s time to install vCenter!  Start autorun from the vCenter binaries.

Select vCenter Server (duh!)

Setup will complain that IIS is installed (got installed with the .NET installation routine).  Therefore, disable the World Wide Web Publishing service on the VC server.

"

For installing version 5.1, I do not see an autorun listed within VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.1.0-799733.x86_64.iso and VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.1.0-947939.iso.  I am confused on what I need to do next.  Thanks for your assistance in advance.  It should not be this hard and I am missing something.

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You downloaded the ISO, so you're going to need to mount that to the VM. Then you should be able to browse to the CD drive and see autron.

JoshuaAndrewsVM
Jump to solution

Download VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.1.0-947939.iso

Mount the ISO as a CD to your vCenter virtual machine.

Autorun will launch in the guest Windows OS.

timevisser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the assistance.  Moving forward now.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's a flaw in Part 4 of the instructions. For .NET Framework you don't want to select the whole ".NET Framework 3.5.1 Features", but just the sub-feature ".NET Framework 3.5.1" (see Re: vCenter 5 wont install on Windows 2008 R2 SP1)

André

0 Kudos
timevisser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Andre, thanks for the additional tip.

I am now getting the HTTP 80 in use.  I did a netstat -bano and found port 80 listening on pid 4.  I brought up task manager and wnet to view and added pid.  PID 4 did not show up.  I disabled remote workstation and still same error.  I do not have IIS or SSRS services installed so they are not running.  Not sure what else to check as I believe I hit most of the documents.  Any further suggestions?

Tim

0 Kudos