VMware Edu & Cert Community
ocporbust
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

newbie in southern cali

Hi,

I am a newbie and looking to learn VMware. I got some CBTs but still need a jump start . I looked for usergrp in san diego but it seems like it is dead.. does anyone from Southern cali know of an active grp the can help jump start my learning.. I am almost done w/ my ccnp and would like to test the water of virtualization ..

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ocporbust wrote:

- if I wape out the linux from the machine that I have . can I install ESXi on it

- Do I need to install the client on top of the ESXi to have virtual machines ?

- one more think to ask.. I do not have a cd/dvd drive in my new machine ..what is the easy way to have ESXi loaded

Thanks for all your help

Normally, you will install ESXi as the OS and wape out the linux from the machine but to set up a home lab you will have to have VMware Workstation to run as an application on Linux.  (I have Workstation in Windows 7 running on my Dell T110).

In side Workstation, run the ESXi as the virtual machine and then load in guest OS to run on the ESXi.  Virtual machine inside a virtual machine.

I think normally if you don't have a DVD drive you can boot ESXi from the SAN but now it is a home lab that you are talking about.

I think in YouTube there are instruction on how to install ESXi on VMware Workstation.

This might give you some information: http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - The best start is to download the software and install it - VMware provides two methods of licensing - just installing the software without any license key will give you a 60 day evaluation license that includes the full suite of vSphere products or you can register for a free license for ESXi 5 which just gives you access to ESXi - both of these assumes you have hardware to install vSphere

If you do have hardware I would start with the free version of ESXi - it will allow you to get your feet wet and to experience VMware -

If your goal is to gain certification you will need to attend a VMware Authorized class in additiion to passing the VCP exam -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
ocporbust
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks David ..

I would like to do the install myself and proceed from there. I was able to put together a nice box w/ motherboard that support virtualization w/ 8 g of ram .. I currently run linux on it.. excuse me if sound clue less and I am .lol .. should I download ESXi 5 and just run it as new os ? can you pls guide me or show me how .. Thanks David .

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi is a bare metal hypervisor... It replace the host OS.

Start from read and studing the product overview and the manuals from the VMware site.

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I think VMware Workstation is a good way to run a VMware lab with only one physical server.

I have VMware Workstation running on a Dell T110 with 8G or RAM.   ESXi is running as a virtual machine in Workstation.  I also have FreeNAS and OpenFiler as virtual machine.

To me reading the VCP exam blueprint and the various VMware documentation as suggested by the exam blue print is the best way to prepare for the exam.  I have heard VCP 5 needs more hands on experience than VCP 4.

There is VMUG - VMware user group all around Southern California (L.A. Irvine and Santa Barbara ...).

0 Kudos
ocporbust
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Antony-- I looks for VMUG in my area near san diego and none of them are active or have anything coming up in the future.. you know how linux user groupe have install festival.. I am looking for something like that .. are you in southern cali ?

- if I wape out the linux from the machine that I have . can I install ESXi on it

- one more think to ask.. I do not have a cd/dvd drive in my new machine ..what is the easy way to have ESXi loaded

Thanks for all your help

0 Kudos
AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ocporbust wrote:

Thanks for all your help

Normally, you will install ESXi as the OS and wape out the linux from the machine but to set up a home lab you will have to have VMware Workstation to run as an application on Linux.  (I have Workstation in Windows 7 running on my Dell T110).

In side Workstation, run the ESXi as the virtual machine and then load in guest OS to run on the ESXi.  Virtual machine inside a virtual machine.

I think normally if you don't have a DVD drive you can boot ESXi from the SAN but now it is a home lab that you are talking about.

I think in YouTube there are instruction on how to install ESXi on VMware Workstation.

This might give you some information: http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/

0 Kudos
ocporbust
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your time and input ..

0 Kudos