VMware Edu & Cert Community
frank_mok
Contributor
Contributor

is it possible to take the v6 course but attend the vcp550

Dear All.

may I know if I attended the course "VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6]", is it possible to take the VCP550 exam instead of the 2V0-620 and 2V0-621? Since the beta exam is ended and the official exam will be released 2 months later...

I think having the V6 knowledge is able to take VCP550 and get the V5.5 certification...

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I faced this question several times since I started teaching vSphere 6 ICM.

Answer is No.

Even if you sit for VCP550 exam, you won't meet certification requirements so your transcript won't get updated.

VMware Certification

old and new both the certification roadmaps are listed on above url.

Alternatively send an email to certification@vmware.com to get further clerifications.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified
0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

so the answer of your question is NO. For attending the VMware Exam's you need to satisfy two things 1.) Knowledge and 2.) Course. So i attached the screenshot here like what are courses those you can attend for VCP5-DCV. If still you want to know anything about this you can check more info at www.vmware.com/certification. Hope this answers your query.

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No - the major version of your training and exam/certification must match in order to gain your first VCP.

But, there is a way for you to get VCP5-DCV, just not yet:

1. Train on vSphere 6

2. Pass the 2V0-620 and 2V0-621 exams when they're released (you gain VCP6-DCV and are a "current" VCP)

3. Pass the VCP550 exam

Do that and you'll hold VCP5-DCV and VCP6-DCV.

Technically you can do the 3 steps above in any order - but only doing steps 1 and 3 (as per your question) does not grant you any certification.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
frank_mok
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Scott

how about if I hold vcp ( vcp6-dcv ) status , and pass exam VCP-NV , can i earn the Vcp-nv certification ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Absolutely!

Just check the requirements for whichever other certification you wish to consider.

For VCP-NV, check Path 2 of this page: VCP-NV

Although, I'd probably suggest you went for the latest VCP6-NV, have a look at Path 2 on the Migration Paths tab of this page: VCP6-NV Certification

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
frank_mok
Contributor
Contributor

DDear Scott

but the captioned page said below, is it means if I obtain the version 5 of vcp-nv, is it will automatically get the vcp6-nv status?

so, it is the same for take the old version?

THanks

Path 1: If you hold a current VCP-NV certification
You will automatically be granted VCP6-NV certification status.
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ah yes, I forgot they decided to automatically grant VCP-NV holders the VCP6-NV...

0 Kudos
frank_mok
Contributor
Contributor

‌dear Scott.

it means if I attended the course "VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6]",  and get pass in 2v0-620 and 2v0-621, will obtain vcp6-dv Certification.

and then I took the exam vcp-550 , and I will get the vcp5 certification

And then I took the exam Vcpn610, and I will also get both vcp-nv and vcp6-nv ?

am I right?

thanks.

0 Kudos