VMware Edu & Cert Community
ande0255
Contributor
Contributor

Will any flavor of a vSphere 5.5 class cover the VCP 510 course requirement?

So someone suggested I look at North Lake College for cheap VMware classes, as that is where they took a 5.0 ICM class to meet their VCP 510 course requirement, so I believe this will still be a certified course instructor. My question is, this semester they are only offering a 5.1 View Client class (which won't work) and an unnamed vSphere 5.5 class, would any flavor of this class meet the requirement to get my VCP as long as the instructor is VMware certified? By flavor I mean ICM, Fast Track, etc.

http://www.northlakecollege.edu/schedule/Pages/CE-Course-Schedule---Spring-2015.aspx

(to view actual course, must scroll down to 'Computer and Technology' section, click on VMware link)

The class I signed up for is all the way at the bottom, no indication of what flavor it is, only that it is a vSphere 5.5 class.

What do you guys think?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

North Lake College is on the list of VMware IT Academy participants, so in theory I guess their class should qualify: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At5YcMvz2XzJdHFCSVJWcUEzaGpPZ2pxd0taVXVJcnc#gid=0

Have you contacted the college to ask them?

Oh, and you can take either the VCP510 or VCP550 exam - VCP510 is based on vSphere 5.0/5.1, and VCP550 is based on vSphere 5.5: VCP5-DCV Exams

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
ande0255
Contributor
Contributor

I did but have not heard back yet, was wondering if maybe someone else had taken the class with this instructor and could comment on this. I'm actually not really expecting a reply til more towards the end of the year from the instructor.

0 Kudos
ande0255
Contributor
Contributor

Well unexpectedly the instructor replied not long ago saying that his 5.5 class will satisfy the VCP 510. Another question came to mind, would my certification date begin once the course is verified and I receive certification, or would it begin back when I passed the exam? Cause the date I took my exam and the date I'll finish the class will be about 8 months apart.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You won't be awarded the VCP5-DCV certification til you have completed meeting both the training and exam requirements.

Why are you looking at the VCP510 exam rather than the VCP550 exam? If you're being trained in vSphere 5.5 it might make sense to also take the exam on 5.5.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
ande0255
Contributor
Contributor

From techexams forums:

"So originally I was told via our business partner that the class requirement would be waived, and all I had to do was pass the exam and I would receive certification. After the certification didn't show up in my portal for a few days, I contacted VMware, and they informed me that my MSP is not at a partner level where we are eligible to have the class waived.

I fought it a bit, saying I was told it would not be required and they should stand by their word, but they've made it clear they won't even strike a compromise like a discounted VCP voucher.

So the thing about the class not being waived is that Stanley CC does not offer courses in MN, and I am not sure if there are any alternatives under $1000 that I can afford. After I got over being pissed off about VMware going back on what they told me, I just want the certification.

Was wondering if anyone knows of some other cheaper online schools that offer VCP510 courses specifically in the state of MN, or just a list in general?"

So I already passed the VCP510, and took it twice so thats $500, and at this point I just want my certification, as I feel VMware kind of screwed me, so that would be why. I already passed the 510, I just want the cert I wasn't supposed to need a class for.

This has already cost me an internal promotion and considerable raise, so at this point I just want it done.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It is true that the class waiver only applied to certain levels of partner.

So you just need to complete the training, then you will be a VCP5-DCV.

0 Kudos