VMware Edu & Cert Community
vtparker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Why are there now 2 VCP exams?

As a former VCP5-DCV (my bad on letting it expire).  It's extremely discouraging for me to have to prepare for not one but now 2 VCP exams... the foundation and the DCV.

Why did vmware do this? Other than from what I can gather so far, it just appears to be a cash grab to get me to go from paying around $200 to now close to $500 to have a certification I had before.

Shaking my head at why companies do this.  I'm looking for a real answer, not the scripted marketing answer "due to the increased features .. blah blah blah"

Whats the real reason behind this stupidity?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vSphere Foundations is a core exam for all 4 VCP tracks:

DCV - vSphere/vSAN

DTM - Horizon/AirWatch

NV - NSX

CMA - vRealize

As vSphere is an underpinning layer beneath all those other products, you need to know the fundamentals of it to successfully deploy/manage those products.

And once you've passed vSphere Foundations as part of DCV, you just take 1 exam for any of the other tracks (DTM, NV, CMA) to achieve the VCP in that track.

It might seem "stupid" if DCV is all you're doing, and you have that legacy from older version VCPs, but hopefully it makes more sense if you get the bigger picture.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

vSphere Foundations is a core exam for all 4 VCP tracks:

DCV - vSphere/vSAN

DTM - Horizon/AirWatch

NV - NSX

CMA - vRealize

As vSphere is an underpinning layer beneath all those other products, you need to know the fundamentals of it to successfully deploy/manage those products.

And once you've passed vSphere Foundations as part of DCV, you just take 1 exam for any of the other tracks (DTM, NV, CMA) to achieve the VCP in that track.

It might seem "stupid" if DCV is all you're doing, and you have that legacy from older version VCPs, but hopefully it makes more sense if you get the bigger picture.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos