VMware Edu & Cert Community
LMBalla
Contributor
Contributor

Which test to take 510 or 550

I currently have the VCP4 certification. I am studying for the VCP5-DCV. I a wondering whether to take the 510 test or the 550 test. If I try the 550 test and fail, would I still be able to try the 510 test?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You may find one easier to prepare for than the other - depending on which version you have worked with, along with the features tested on in the exams.

VCP510 is based on vSphere 5.0/5.1, while VCP550 is based on vSphere 5.5.

Review the 2 exam blueprints for both to help make your decision, there are links to both here: VCP5-DCV Exams

I'm not aware of any restrictions on someone taking one and then the other if they failed the first one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
NealeC
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Afternoon Scott,

Slightly hijacking here, although it is on-topic 🙂
I got a voucher from my employer last year for VCAP-DCA510 and then due to a project commitment had to push it out until January.

I'm mostly released from that project now but the real "hard-stop" as they say was the announcement of it's retirement and there being no sessions to reschedule to! (2 weeks to cram!)

So I'm booked in on Thursday in Leeds and am cramming on my homelab now for all I'm worth (and I took advantage of Josh Andrews kind loan of Test Track)

My question are

1. What is the standard process if there is any issue with the lab?
    Is it better to log it and carry on as quickly as possible as I don't want to be talking to GK support whilst the clock is ticking for it then not to be considered when it comes to scoring?
  2. If there was a lab issue would you expect VMware/GK to issue a voucher for VCAP-DCA550 then?
  3. How often are there issues? A colleague has had to get two resits due to lab connectivity issues.

Thank you

Chris

-------------- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Chris Neale VCIX6-NV;vExpert2014-17;VCP6-NV;VCP5-DCV;VCP4;VCA-NV;VCA-DCV;VTSP2015;VTSP5;VTSP4 http://www.chrisneale.org http://www.twitter.com/mrcneale
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What is the standard process if there is any issue with the lab? Is it better to log it and carry on as quickly as possible as I don't want to be talking to GK support whilst the clock is ticking for it then not to be considered when it comes to scoring?

I would talk to the on-site administrator and get a case logged with PearsonVUE, then drop an email to certification@vmware.com once the exam is over with the case/incident number.

If there was a lab issue would you expect VMware/GK to issue a voucher for VCAP-DCA550 then?

I guess it would depend if the problem could be identified such that there is a clear responsibility.

How often are there issues? A colleague has had to get two resits due to lab connectivity issues.

I took my VCAP4-DCA at GK in Wokingham and had no issues at all.

My other guidance - don't worry about any of this stuff - if it happens it happens, concentrate on knowing your stuff and being as ready as you can be to work through the tasks quickly and accurately.

Good luck 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
LMBalla
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ebaine
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have beeing reading your post, burt it does not tell wich exam is prefered vcp510 or vcp550. Are there any drawback or advantage of doing one or the other?

Thanks in advance

Osvaldo

0 Kudos
LMBalla
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the delay in the response.

There was an announcement on 1/21 that says there are 3 available tests for VCP5-DCV. Since I am already a VCP4, it looks like I will have to take either the VCP550 or VCP550D. If someone does not have a certification, the VCP510 Or VCP550 can be taken after taking the qualified course.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can't take 550D - thats only for existing VCP5-DCV holders who want to use it to recertify. Your options are 510 or 550.

0 Kudos
LMBalla
Contributor
Contributor

I stand corrected.

BTW, I passed the 550 test yesterday.

0 Kudos