VMware Edu & Cert Community
sumitmhatre
Contributor
Contributor

Where do I get Online free Resources for Certification?

I am a beginner in VMWare Technology. I want to do self study and get certified in this field.Kindly assist me in collecting study material for the same. Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - First off to become VMware Certified you will need to attend an VMware Authorized class - more about certification can be found here - http://mylearn.vmware.com/portals/certification/?ui=www

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
sumitmhatre
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply. Is it possible to get certified without attending any class? I want to do self study and I cannot invest much in this. So I cannot attend any online or authorised class due to shortage of time. So I am searching for study material which I can download free from web, study it and get certified.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

To become a VMware Certified Professional you will need to attend an authorized VMware class - there are number of excellent resources that are available to learn about VMware but none will get you certified.

I also have moved this to a more approriate Forum -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
Bartmosss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would also add that even with the authorized class you will need to self-study a lot to pass the exam. In 2008, I  had a lot of difficulty to convince my boss to pay for the class as we were a new VMware Partner (it was recommended to have a VCP but no obligation). About a year after, we were looking for a second person to go in training. the class and the certification helped us a lot. Self-study is not the same. I do a lot of self-study for other certifcation (Comptia, MS etc...) but VMware training is top.

MCP, A+, Network+, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

I would also add that even with the authorized class you will need to self-study a lot to pass the exam. In 2008, I  had a lot of difficulty to convince my boss to pay for the class as we were a new VMware Partner (it was recommended to have a VCP but no obligation). About a year after, we were looking for a second person to go in training. the class and the certification helped us a lot. Self-study is not the same. I do a lot of self-study for other certifcation (Comptia, MS etc...) but VMware training is top.

Valuable point of view...

Also for the VCP upgrade, there is a limited time window where you can upgrade your certification without any additional course.

In this case you can save your money and your investment in certification.

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMware expect a VCP to have 6 months of hands-on administration experience, and as others have mentioned you have to attend official vSphere training to qualify for VCP - the training requirement is there to guarantee that every VCP has some proven minimum level of experience, and authorised VMware instructors tend to be very experienced with the software and the underlying hardware too, so they can pass on their experience.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos