VMware Edu & Cert Community
miguelvelez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What to do in the final hours before 'showtime'

Currently as I prepare to sit for the exam on Monday at 3:15 pm EST, I'm going through all my material.  Reviewing the VCP510 Certification Guide by Bill Ferguson.  Going over details in my physical vLab and using what I've learned and studied to improve upon it's design.  I'm nervous, I'm scared.  I want this so very much and yet I'm fighting my whole fear of tests.  I'm cutting off reviews at midnight tonight then spending all of Sunday doing practice exams.

My question is ..Am I following a good path for preparation?   What did all of you do in the final hours before time to take the exam?  Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

I really need some guidance here...something to help my mind be less fearful and more productive.  Any and all wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Good luck for the exam.

Btw. there's always something to learn. I downloaded Unitrends backup a while ago to see what this can do. That said, be careful with replying by email, I just deleted your contact data from your latest post Smiley Wink

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Anupreet01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have a look at this website http://www.vreference.com/ This is got everything and If you are overloaded then stop leave it the same stuff will  be in exam ...........All the Best njoy

Vmware Communities ROCK ............Average Response time 1 MInute
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

First of all calm down. The exam is tough, but feasible. I'd take another look at the Blueprint - which is the main document for exam preparation - and then lookup the topics you are not sure about.

André

miguelvelez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Andre.  As soon as I finish reviewing chapters in VCP-510 Guide (which is based directly from the blueprint – step-by-step, I promise to calm down; especially after I have a practice exam or two under my belt (successfully, that is LOL).  I very much appreciate your quick response.  It always helps a person to know that there are others out there who care; especially if they’ve already done it.  I love VMware so very much and I wish to go all the way.  Sometimes, though I make my own stumbling blocks and/or procrastinate – so by forcing myself to really do this, I’m hoping to create a new confidence in myself which will carry my further forward.  I figure that if I can pass this (AND I WILL), then I can do anything.

Thanks again,

Migs

Message was edited by: a.p. - Removed personal email data

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Good luck for the exam.

Btw. there's always something to learn. I downloaded Unitrends backup a while ago to see what this can do. That said, be careful with replying by email, I just deleted your contact data from your latest post Smiley Wink

André

0 Kudos
miguelvelez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ooops.  Sorry about that.  See what i mean, got to many pans on the fire.  I'm gonna get burned worse if I don't watch it.  Thanks for the heads up.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Give it your best shot based on your preparations - do yourself justice.

Good luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
miguelvelez
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Scott and thank you.  Always nice to see you out and about whether it's here or LinkedIn.  I've just completed 36 hours of review.  I'm calling it a night - after I have a beer.  Tomorrow, I will dedicate to taking some practice exams.  Then a good night's sleep and off to the exam Monday afternoon.  I'll be sure in check in here after passing (*hands clasped in prayer*).  I feel a lot better about it all than I did two days ago, so I'm hoping that means that I'm getting more comfortable with the idea of taking this bloody test.  Right now, I'm too darn tired to be frightened *LOL*

Thanks again!!

0 Kudos
VMGator
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just do your best.  My mindset last week was I just wanted to take it see where i was at.  Worst case, I figured i was very close and would pass on the 2nd attempt.  Did it on the first and you can too !  Good luck !!

0 Kudos
slaclair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

At this point I've taken I believe 8 VMware exams (still waiting on the results of the most recent one) and the final few hours are completely the same.

2 hours out I'm cramming

1.5 hours out I'm driving to the test center

1 hour out I'm in the car on my tablet or cellphone frantically looking over my study guide in the parking lot of the test center

.5 hours out I yell some obscenity and tell myself it's time to face the music

0 hour - I hit "begin exam" and simultaniously have a complete braindump and forget everything I crammed in the past few hours

The ONLY time I did anything different was for my retake of the VCAP5-DCD (which initially kicked my butt).  Instead of last minute cramming, I got up real early, did a lot of cardio and then juiced a lot of fresh veggies in hopes that I would have a less foggy mind.  The difference was highly noticable, I plan on doing the same for the VCAP-CID.

VCAP5-DCD/DCA/CIA, VCA4-DT
0 Kudos