VMware Edu & Cert Community
gshields
Contributor
Contributor

WARNING: VCP6-DCV Objectives/Tasks have Changed

Hi all -

I've spent the last couple of months updating Pluralsight's VCP6 course content.  As such, I've spent a ton of time with the VCP6-DCV exam objectives.

I noticed this morning that the objectives and tasks were updated (I believe) over the Labor Day weekend, and in some cases significantly.  Wanted to pass this on for those in the middle of studying for the VCP6-DCV, as there's brand new content you'll need to know.

The objectives and tasks are listed here:  VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization Exam.

Now I've got to figure out how to update the Pluralsight courses we've already released to include the new content.  Grrrr...

/Greg Shields

Author Evangelist,

www.Pluralsight.com

/Greggo Greg Shields, MVP, vExpert Senior Partner and Principal Technologist Concentrated Technology – www.ConcentratedTech.com IT Education and Strategic Consulting
Tags (3)
11 Replies
gshields
Contributor
Contributor

I've also documented a mapping between the original and new objectives/tasks.  That mapping is attached.  Note that with the exception of the Troubleshooting objective, I've aligned the old tasks with what I believe to be the new.  This document should help you understand what's changed.

This document I created for personal use, so no implied or express warranties, etc., etc.

/Greg Shields

Author Evangelist,

www.Pluralsight.com

/Greggo Greg Shields, MVP, vExpert Senior Partner and Principal Technologist Concentrated Technology – www.ConcentratedTech.com IT Education and Strategic Consulting
0 Kudos
timk225
Contributor
Contributor

One thing VMware needs to do is a 90% reduction in the insanely ridiculous ~$4000 price of the VCP6-DCV training.  I want to take it, but for more than twice the cost of a CCIE exam?  NO WAY!!!

Stop pricing yourself out of the market, VMware.  You wonder why your market share is low.  This is why.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for the update, and that's a really useful reference document.

Most of the changes seem to be an elaboration or expansion of a topic, so those preparing shouldn't need to do an about-turn and head off in a different direction.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The training is around $3500 if you take it directly with VMware or through a VMware Authorised Training Center partner - it's a one-off though as further VMware certifications can be gained by just passing exams, so long as you take 1 at least every 2 years.

Many employers or individuals would see at as an investment in personal development.

If you are paying for the training yourself, you could look at a VMware IT Academy partner - these are academic institutions that offer the training over a term/semester, at a much lower price point.

Or, if you are Cisco certified (CCNA or above), you can gain the Network Virtualisation certifications on NSX with no training requirement, til the end of January 2016.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Mid_Hudson_IT
Contributor
Contributor

@

VCP5/6-DCV, VCP6-NV, vExpert 2015/2016/2017, A+, Net+, Sec +, Storage+, CCENT, ICM NSX 6.2, 70-410, 70-411
0 Kudos
gshields
Contributor
Contributor

Can you provide a link to where that $200 ICM course can be found?  I'd love to socialize this as an option.

/Greg Shields

Author Evangelist,

www.Pluralsight.com

0 Kudos
gshields
Contributor
Contributor

I've discovered much of the same thing.  In building those new VCP6-DCV courses for Pluralsight over the past couple of months, I'd been worried about the content overlap between the Foundations and DCV exam objectives/tasks.  The original DCV list just didn't smell right.  These new updated objectives/tasks do a much better job of identifying the exact knowledge a person needs to pass the exam.

Notably, there are zero changes to the objectives.  The only changes are to the tasks within the objectives, and in nearly every case they're just more detail about the topic requiring study.

/Greg Shields

Author Evangelist,

www.Pluralsight.com

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Stanly Community College: https://vmware.stanly.edu/

They only offer vSphere 5.x at the moment, it's only for people who are paying for their own training (rather than through their employer), and there are restrictions with certain US states.

But, it's generally well though of, and "ticks the box" as far as meeting the VCP training requirement.

0 Kudos
jsncho
Contributor
Contributor

I'm confused as to how the Delta Exam differs to the full exam, apart from the obvious - number of questions and time allocated etc, the exam topics are identical, I have even read elsewhere

"http://www.vcloudnine.de/vcp6-dcv-delta-beta-exam-experience/"

that objectives

• 7.4: Troubleshoot and Monitor vSphere Performance
  • 7.5: Troubleshoot HA and DRS Configurations and Fault Tolerance
  • 8.3: Consolidate Physical Workloads using VMware Converter
  • 10.3: Configure and Maintain a vCloud Air Connection

are excluded excluded i.e does not include the above objectives, yet the Vmware cert. website and you're XL says different.  I guess the bottom line or question is,  how should I be preparing for the delta that is in anyway different to the normal VCP-DCV 6 ? as every topicis the same.

Thanks for any light you may be able to shed on this.

0 Kudos
gshields
Contributor
Contributor

I'll suggest that you create a task-to-task mapping between the objectives for the VCP6-DCV and the Delta exam, similar to the spreadsheet I uploaded above.  I took a cursory glance at the differences today, and there are plenty of them at the individual task level.

/Greg Shields

Author Evangelist,

www.Pluralsight.com

0 Kudos
gshields
Contributor
Contributor

If anyone's interested, I've updated my five affected courses (out of eleven) in the already-released content over at www.Pluralsight.com.  That was a surprisingly complex project, re-aligning the existing content with the new objectives/tasks and inserting in new content where appropriate.  Lots of delicate slicing and dicing.  Smiley Happy

The five affected courses combined are now 99 minutes longer.  And, honestly, now that this project is done, I'm glad VMware updated the tasks.  The new tasks are far better at defining exactly where a person should apply their study efforts.  There's simply more detail now.

Details about that content (which is still being generated, as of this writing) can be found here:  Learning Path: VMware vSphere 6 Data Center Virtualization (VCP6-DCV).

Hopefully this is useful to people!

/Greg Shields

Author Evangelist,

www.Pluralsight.com