VMware Edu & Cert Community
dbeyer
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere 4.1 Fast Track training

Finally got word our training will be next week.

Anyone here have any reviews of the Vsphere 4.1 fast track w/command line provisioning course?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've delivered that course a good number of times - what do you want to know?

You'll cover the 5-day Install Configure Manage in about 3.5 days, then spend the remaining time learning how to automate all kinds of tasks using vSphere PowerCLI - that in itself is normally a 2-day course. The days can be long (9am-6:30pm), there's a decent mix of lecture time and lab time in both elements of the overall week of training.

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
dbeyer
Contributor
Contributor

I know several whom have failed the exam after taking this course and was wondering if the install/config course

is more valuable in passing the exam. What's your opinion on the matter. I see this course covers that material, but

in a very short/fast paced time vs 5 full days. Depending on the exam questions scope I am wondering if fast track

is a good fit or not.

Thanks for the heads up Scott.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes you do cover all the Install Configure Manage material as part of Fast Track, but over longer days so it only takes roughly 3.5 rather than 5 days. As a learning experience Fast Track is tougher for that reason, but you will also get an opportunity to learn about PowerCLI too. Being honest, neither training course will fully prepare anyone for the VCP4 exam, additional preparation time is almost certainly required - there are topics covered in the exam which are not in the training course - see the VCP4 exam blueprint for a full list of what is tested on in the exam. Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
dbeyer
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like our course is Mon-Fri from 9-5. I did hear from some people that they were going to be 10-12 hour days, but that wont be the case here.

Either way I am looking forward the training.

side note:

Issues last night into early morning.

Just tried copying a 648GB vmdk to a different data store (backup purposes) and about 60% (10 hrs in)

I get a "General Fault caused by file" message and it locked up the VIC. The target data store has plenty of space so I know that was not the cause.
Trouble is  now the guest VM wont start, keeps saying missing file.  Customer needs this server soon. Hate stuff like this.

0 Kudos
dbeyer
Contributor
Contributor

Update

The training was actually Install Manage Config vSphere 4.1

It was a great class and I really got a lot out of it. Gonna study hard for a few weeks and then sit the exam.

0 Kudos