VMware Edu & Cert Community
Mukz9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware Home Lab

Hi,

I would like to set up a home lab that can be used to learn and explore the features of ESXi 5.1. I am planning to install Workstation 9 and then install ESXi 5.1 in one of the VMs within the workstation. Also I would like to install vCentre Server 5.1 directly within the workstation so that it can be used as an interface for accessing and managing the VM hosting ESX 5.1 and other VMs within the workstation. With this set up, I would like to learn and explore the following features of ESXi

DRS

Fault Tolerance

Vmotion

SR-IOV

In order to build this lab, I have narrowed down on the following configuration

CPU - Intel® Core™ i7-4770S Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz)

RAM - 16 GB DDR3

Motherboard - Intel DB85FL motherboard

OS - Windows 7

Hard disk - SAS drive 300 GB

1 Gb Ethernet NIC

Is this configuration good enough to support the requirements/features stated above?

Thanks & regards,

Mukz

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I think you should be fine with the hardware (although an SSD for the VM's wouldn't bad). Anyway, I don't think you will be able to use SR-IOV in the virtualized environment and FT may be limited to nested 32-bit guests.

I'd suggest you take a look at Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab for an idea of how to setup the lab and check out the discussions in Nested Virtualization (mailnly the ones to which jmattson replied) before you purchase the hardware.

André

View solution in original post

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I think you should be fine with the hardware (although an SSD for the VM's wouldn't bad). Anyway, I don't think you will be able to use SR-IOV in the virtualized environment and FT may be limited to nested 32-bit guests.

I'd suggest you take a look at Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab for an idea of how to setup the lab and check out the discussions in Nested Virtualization (mailnly the ones to which jmattson replied) before you purchase the hardware.

André

Mukz9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, Andre. I had thought of SSD drive, however, was not sure whether the motherboard would support it.

Also  I will go through the link that you have suggested.

0 Kudos
timevisser
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you need help with the link that Andre posted, let me know and I can help.  There are things that you may not want to do that will save you time and headaches.  However, that is part of the learning process, is it not?

0 Kudos
Mukz9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Apologies, I could not respond back to your post soon. I got occupied with something important at the personal front and had no time to keep the track of discussion. I am planning to set up the VMware lab with in a month's time and will definitely reach you incase of any queries. Thanks a lot for your assitance. And yes, I concur, setting up a lab itself is quite a learning process and it opens up the gate to the amazing world of virtualisation Smiley Happy!

Many Thanks,

Mukz

0 Kudos