VMware Edu & Cert Community
Raul_Tutunaru
Contributor
Contributor

VMware decided: Your VCP certification will expire. Are you happy with this?

So, every 2 year we had  to pay for a prerequisite course which for me is very expensive and take another exam. I got lucky and my employer paid this course for me and thas how I got VCP-DCV certification. But I would not bet this will happen again after 2 years.

Since retesting your knowledge is not such a bad idea, the fact that I am forced to pay a large amount of money for prerequisite course make me very unhappy.

How about you?

31 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Where did you see or read this!? Afaik the certifications don't expire, and with the release of new versions, VMware offers current VCPs to sit the exam for the new version without any prerequisites (for a limited time).

André

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I agree with Andre - That is the way it has worked since the first VCPs - existing VCPs have a short grace period where there is course requirement to get update your VCP - you just need to pay the exam fee.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Raul_Tutunaru
Contributor
Contributor

From yesterday VCP51-DCV certification expire. Smiley Sad

expiration.JPG

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You are right. I checked my account and all the VCP certifications have a "Valid through:" date now.  What I found on Twitter is that there's going to be an announcement about this on Monday, so let's wait and see what's going on.

André

0 Kudos
GaryRD
Contributor
Contributor

Hopefully it will be similar to how Cisco works with certification expiration.

0 Kudos
ricmarques
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Raul_Tutunaru,

Good warning! I also didn't know about this change in VMware certification (requiring recertification every 2 years) and I learned about it thanks to your message. I did some web searches and I found the following web page that explains the changes:

Recertification Policy

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=46667&ui=www_cert

For easier reference, I include the current content of that web page below. EDIT: There are bad news, but there are also better news that seem to cover one of the legitimate concerns raised by Raul_Tutunaru, namely this question & answer:

"Is there a course requirement to recertify?

Previously, a candidate was given a limited amount of time to upgrade their existing certification, after which a course was required. Effective with the announcement of this recertification policy, a candidate can recertify anytime within their 2-year recertification period, without a course requirement."

Recertfication Policy: VMware Certified Professional

Recertification Process | FAQs | More Information

Certifications are valuable assets for any IT professional and VMware Certified Professional (VCP) certifications are widely believed to reflect exceptional competence. Your VCP certification validates your ability to successfully employ current VMware products using best practices in operational environments.

Earning a VCP certification is a great achievement. But staying up to date in the expertise gained and proven by your certification is equally vital. If your skills are not current, your certification loses value. To ensure that all VCP holders maintain their proficiency, VMware is instituting a recertification policy.

Recertification is widely recognized in the IT industry and beyond as an important element of continuing professional growth. It enhances your credibility and demonstrates a commitment to your career, your employer, and your customers.

The new policy gives you three options to recertify:

1. Take the current exam for your existing VCP certification solution track. For example, if you are a VCP3, you could take the current VCP5-Data Center Virtualization (VCP5-DCV) exam.
  2. Earn a new VCP certification in a different solution track. For example, if you are a VCP-Cloud, you could recertify by earning VCP5-Desktop (VCP5-DT) certification.
  3. Advance to the next level by earning a VMware Certified Advanced Professional (VCAP) certification.

Regardless of the option you choose, recertifying will enhance your ability to provide the highest quality results, and improve your chances for earning increased compensation and career advancement.

Recertification Process

• You will be notified that your certification is due to expire via the email associated with your MyLearn account. Your transcript will also show the dates your certification is valid.
  • To recertify, you must pass any VCP or higher-level exam within two years of earning your most recent VCP certification.
  • Failure to recertify by the required date will result in revocation of your certification.
    • If your certification is revoked, you will lose access to the VCP portal and your right to market yourself as certified for that certification, which includes the use of VMware certification logos. Also, your transcript will reflect that your certification is no longer valid.
    • If you would like to re-earn a certification for which you have been decertified, you must satisfy the same prerequisites as any candidate attempting to earn that certification for the first time.

FAQs

What is VMware announcing?
VMware is implementing a recertification policy for VCP certification. To recertify, VMware Certified Professional (VCP) holders must pass any VCP or higher-level exam within two years of earning their most recent VCP certification.

Why is VMware announcing this policy change?
Currently, VCP certification holders are not required to recertify their skills, which is uncommon in the IT industry, Maintaining currency in the expertise gained and proven by VMware certifications is just as important as earning the certification initially. If your skills are not current, your certification loses value. The technical and business communities expect that VMware certified professionals are current on the latest technologies and capable of implementing VMware products with the highest level of skill. To ensure that all certification holders meet these expectations, VMware is instituting a recertification policy.

When does the policy go into effect?
The policy is effective as of March 10, 2014.

What are the benefits of recertifying?
In addition to proving that you are maintaining your skills with the latest technology, you also receive the same benefits as if you were a newly certified candidate, including:

• Recognition of your technical knowledge and skills
  • Official transcripts
  • Access to the exclusive VCP portal & logo merchandise store
  • Invitation to beta exams and classes
  • Use of the certification logo on personal websites and business cards
  • Discounted admission to VMware events
  • Discounts from VMware Press

What certifications do I need to recertify by March 10, 2015?
All VCP level certifications -- VCP-DCV, VCP-Cloud, VCP-Desktop -- that were earned prior to March 10, 2013 must be recertified. Any VCP2, VCP3, or VCP4 certification can be recertified during this period by simply taking a current VCP or VCAP exam. Anyone holding a VCP certification awarded prior to March 10, 2013 has until March 10, 2015 to recertify.

How can passing another VCP or higher-level certification recertify my existing certification?
It recognizes and rewards your continued growth into new knowledge areas.

What happens if I allow my certification to expire?
Your certification will be revoked, and you will no longer be entitled to use the certification logo or represent yourself as VMware certified. Your certification will be shown as no longer valid on your MyLearn account. Any employer who contacts us to validate your certification will be informed it is no longer valid.

Can I still access the VCP portal if my certification is revoked?
No.

Is there a grace period after my certification is revoked where I can take the exam and be reinstated, or do I need to start over?
No. There is no grace period after your certification is revoked. To regain certified status, you will need to meet all the prerequisites for the specific certification.

Will you notify me when my certification is near its expiration date?
Yes. You will receive an email notice at the email address associated with your MyLearn account.

Is there a course requirement to recertify?
Previously, a candidate was given a limited amount of time to upgrade their existing certification, after which a course was required. Effective with the announcement of this recertification policy, a candidate can recertify anytime within their 2-year recertification period, without a course requirement. However, we recommend that you do enroll in training, as hands-on experience through on demand or live (classroom or virtual) classes will provide you with the latest education to better prepare you for the exam.

Is the recertification exam different from the normal exam?
No.

Does the recertification exam cost the same?
Yes. There may be discounts and promotions available here.

Are there any course discounts available to help me get ready for the exam?
You can find the currently available discounts and promotions here.

How does this policy affect me if I received my VCP5-DCV two or more years ago?
A candidate holding any VCP level certification(s) -- VCP-DCV, VCP-Cloud, VCP-Desktop -- that were earned on or before March 10, 2013 must recertify by March 10, 2015.

If your certification was earned after March 10, 2013, you must recertify within two years of that date.

I have multiple VCP certifications. Which date do you look at to determine if I need to recertify?
The most recent certification date will be used to determine your recertification deadline. For example, if you earned VCP5-DCV on January 1, 2012 and VCP5-DT on February 10, 2014, then your recertification deadline will be based on the VCP5-DT date. In this case, the recertification deadline is February 10, 2016.

My VCP level certification is over two years old, but my VCAP level certification is not -- do I need to recertify by March 10, 2015?
No. Your recertification date is based on the date of your most recent and highest level of certification -- in this case, two years from your VCAP date.

My VCP is more than 2 years old, but I just received a VCA last month. Do I still need to recertify by March 10, 2015?
The only way to recertify your VCP is to take an exam at the same level or higher.

My VCAP certification is more recent than my VCP certification – when will the valid through date reflect this?
We will be adding functionality to the system to reflect these situations in the coming months.

I took the course and passed the exam in 2013, but it shows I am not certified until 2014 when I completed my certification tasks. Which date is used when determining recertification?
The date you completed the tasks is the official date that will be used to determine your recertification date.

I noticed that the VCP4-DCV certification is no longer offered after May -- why is that?
This certification is based on technology that has since been greatly expanded. Our new recertification policy ensures that all certification holders are current on the latest technologies; therefore, we have decided to end this program’s availability.

How long will VCP4-DT, VCP4-DCV, VCAP4-DCA, VCAP4-DCD be available?
Candidates will have until March 31st, 2014 to register for any VCP or VCAP Version 4.x exam, and until May 31st to take the exam.

VCDX4-DCV candidates have until May 31, 2014 to register and must defend by July 31, 2014.

I have multiple accounts. How do I ensure my recertification is applied to the correct account?
We encourage you to merge your accounts by contacting certification@vmware.com. If all of your certifications are under a single account, your recertification will apply to all impacted certifications. If you maintain separate accounts, you may run the risk of having multiple recertification dates.

More Information

For more information on the recertification policy, please contact certification@vmware.com.

Ricardo Dias Marques - http://twitter.com/ricmarques
0 Kudos
GaryRD
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.  This answered my questions. 

0 Kudos
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'd still love to know what happens when you renew via a VCAP .. in two years after that - can you end up with a VCAP but expired VCP ?!? Does the VCAP expire too ?

___ My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com
0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't really mind this change, it seems reasonable as you can expect VMware to release a new major release/exam approximately every two years. Apart from that it's very fortunate that they eliminated the short grace period to upgrade your certification without a course requirement.

I just wonder how this change applies to beta-exams, but it will probably count like a normal exam. I still haven't received results from the VCP5-DCV 5.5 beta exam I took last year.

I'd still love to know what happens when you renew via a VCAP .. in two years after that - can you end up with a VCAP but expired VCP ?!?

According to the Recertification Policy:

My VCP level certification is over two years old, but my VCAP level certification is not -- do I need to recertify by March 10, 2015?

No. Your recertification date is based on the date of your most recent and highest level of certification -- in this case, two years from your VCAP date.

So your VCP is refreshed automatically when you pass a VCAP exam.

Does the VCAP expire too ?

According to the document linked above and from what I've read, no, VCAPs don't expire. This is also reflected in my VMware certification transcript, where my VCAP does not show a "Valid through:" info, unlike my VCP certifications.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Oh I know the VCP is refreshed by passing the VCAP - they don't say for how long though.

I am almost sure it's a non-issue as most VCAPs will stay current anyway and would renew their VCP one way or another (6,7 you name it).

As for your link - I have read it but still - VCAP is quite vague .. including

My VCAP certification is more recent than my VCP certification – when will the valid through date reflect this?

We will be adding functionality to the system to reflect these situations in the coming months.

0 Kudos
Gav0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To put a positive spin on it it looks like a good opportunity for anyone with a VCP4 or older to update to VCP5 without the course requirements - provided they do so by March 2015:

Is there a course requirement to recertify?

Previously, a candidate was given a limited amount of time to upgrade their existing certification, after which a course was required. Effective with the announcement of this recertification policy, a candidate can recertify anytime within their 2-year recertification period, without a course requirement. However, we recommend that you do enroll in training, as hands-on experience through on demand or live (classroom or virtual) classes will provide you with the latest education to better prepare you for the exam.

Please award points to your peers for any correct or helpful answers
Aruizo
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed. But still not good if you just paid your required course to update your VCP3 or VCP4 last week ;-(

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As someone who has gotten a VCP 2, 3,4, and 5 it probably won't impact me terribly but I won't be bothering to get anything higher.  ESX 5.5 was not a major stretch from 5.0 so writing that exam would be absolutely useless except from a money grab perspective.

I don't write exams for the sake of writing exams...which is why I've never bothered with a cisco certification because once you've written the exam to prove you know it and use the product regularily, do I really need to re-write the exams to prove I haven't forgotten it.

Anyone who hired someone based on a piece of paper is an idiot anyhow as its the work experience that backs up that certificate is what counts.

if I wrote VCP 2 exam and spent the last 5 years working heavily in vmware virtualization, there's a good bet I still know it.  If I don't, no recent certificate or exam is going to majically solve that...

I particularily like this...pay us a licensing fee every 2 years of $250 or we are going to hold you hostage to another $5000 course fee.

No. There is no grace period after your certification is revoked. To regain certified status, you will need to meet all the prerequisites for the specific certification.

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

>Agreed. But still not good if you just paid your required course to update your VCP3 or VCP4 last week ;-(

If you passed the VCP4-DCV (or 5) exam last week you have 2 years to re-certify from the day you passed.

AnthonyChow
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Our VMware account should state the expiration day of all the certification that we current hold.

0 Kudos
radiolandog
Contributor
Contributor

I'm happy.

0 Kudos
Suraklin1138
Contributor
Contributor

Quite grumpy about the whole thing really - the numbering of the qualification already made it clear how old/new your certification was in comparison to the current version & even Cisco give you 3 years. This smacks of a vRam style money grab from the accounting department.

Normally I expect a good meal and some foreplay before this type of thing.

0 Kudos
Michael_Rudloff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Na, the whole vRam thing was a complete different kind of cheeky. Given how long licensing / financial changes take in general and how quickly it was scrapped it did actually appear as if they had both plans on the table and just wanted to see if they get away with it Smiley Happy

I think personally I would have any issues with this if a mandatory training would be part of the renewal process.

0 Kudos
Suraklin1138
Contributor
Contributor

In some ways it is more cheeky because instead of hitting a company's bottom line it instead hits the bottom lines of people like us who support the product and often act as de facto evangelists within our companies.

I don't mind grabbing a v6 or v7 VCP but to be stripped of v5 or earlier qualifications is a joke - they are one way we can demonstrate to a knowledgeable employer a deep understanding of the product built over time & many versions.

0 Kudos