VMware Edu & Cert Community
shri_ganesh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware Certification Questions

Hi,

I am very new to VMware Certifications. I am totally confused. I am just starting with the certifications but don't know where to start.

I am reasonably comfortable with ESXi and vSphere products. Should I start with VCA or VCP? Also should I go with Cloud stream or Data Center stream? I am guessing  Data Center stream.

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Also if I want to write VCP550, Certification page shows that I should study any one of four papers:

VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.5]

OR

VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V5.5]

OR

VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop [V5.1]

OR

vSphere with Operations Management: Fast Track.

All these four papers seem to have different syllabus. Say I am taking a class for VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V5.5] and will VMWare know that I took that class and ask questions accordingly?

I do know that in those above 4 papers lot of topics overlap. But I am still concerned.

Thank you and advance,

Shri Ganesh

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaAndrewsVM
Jump to solution

>But thanks for confirming that VMWare will ask question according to the class that I've taken!

The VCP550 exam is based on the exam blueprint and the questions you get have no bearing on what class you took.

Take the class that best suits your needs, then go over the exam blueprint and make sure you are knowledgeable on all objectives.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Chakraem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok i will sum it up for ya i know it might sound odd if you have free voucher 1st go for VCA's it will also give you good experience to write VCP's or else start from VCP and  from your name i guess ur from india and if this is for employment purpose only check whether ur firm qualifies for free course like premier partner if not Pay for VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage (decide the version on your own after doing some study) as it helps in clearing the VCP - DCV exam

VCP-Cloud, VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-WM & VCA-DCV
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VCP5-DCV is the most common certification, which covers the vSphere products (ESXi/vCenter) - the VCP550 exam covers the latest vSphere 5.5 version.

Install Configure Manage is the most popular class, although Fast Track includes additional topics which are also part of the VCP550 exam - the exam blueprint can be compared against the course datasheets to see this.

If you feel you could achieve VCP5-DCV, there's little benefit of having the VCA-DCV as it's a lower level certificaiton. If you want to show breadth of VMware knowledge, the Cloud and Desktop disciplines could help demonstrate that.

Whichever class you take, VMware will know you took it even if through a VATC partner - don't worry about that.

To summarise - the combination of vSphere ICM and VCP550 is the most common way that people will earn the most common certification.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
shri_ganesh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks! Yep I am from India but my firm isn't using VMWare. But I am planning to get certified so that I can get VMWare jobs Smiley Happy I don't have VCA voucher, so I should go for VCP-DCV exam I guess.

0 Kudos
shri_ganesh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot mate! Although I kinda made up VCP5-DCV is the certification that I should get certified. But thanks for confirming that VMWare will ask question according to the class that I've taken! This puts my mind at ease and my mind is clear now. I will work hard to get VCP550 certified!

Cheers! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

None of the courses covers every exam objective fully - you are expected to do additional study and hands on. Have a good look through the VCP550 exam blueprint to see what topics are covered in the exam.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM
Jump to solution

>But thanks for confirming that VMWare will ask question according to the class that I've taken!

The VCP550 exam is based on the exam blueprint and the questions you get have no bearing on what class you took.

Take the class that best suits your needs, then go over the exam blueprint and make sure you are knowledgeable on all objectives.

0 Kudos
shri_ganesh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow! I didn't quite expect that! So, apart from attending the vSphere ICM class, I should learn lots of other things / topics covered in the exam blueprint! I got that just now. I guess I have to put lot more effort!

The center where I'd planned to study, simply said their 5 day class on vSphere ICM was more than enough to pass the VCP-DCV exam!

Thanks again for enlightening me!

0 Kudos
shri_ganesh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! I got it now.

0 Kudos