VMware Edu & Cert Community
Shivon
Contributor
Contributor

VCPD510 Exam Tips

Hello fellow VMWare users!

Last week I just completed my Horizon View 5.2 training course and am now ready to study for my VCPD510 exam. Since I haven't done any VMWare courses or exams before, I have to do the VCPD510 instead of the VCP510-DT. How ever I am a little bit concerned with this exam, cause in the blueprint it tells me that you need to know everything about vSphere too and that there will be questions regarding vSphere in the exam.

Now I do have a few years of vSphere 5 experience, because in our company that's what we currently use for to virtualise our servers, but I definitely lack all the deeper knowledge, cause the system was already present by the time I started working for this company.

My question is if there are any people out there who have done the VCPD510 exam and can give me a few tips regarding the vSphere part that I should look out for and study.

Thank you so far for the help!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - I am not sure what you are referring to when you say VCPD510 exam unless you are referring to the VCP510-DCV which is for the Datacenter VCP - according to (VCP5-DT) VMware Certified Professional - Desktop you will only need to pass the VCP510-DT exam -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Shivon
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

If you want to be certified as a VCP5-DT, there are two paths you can follow. If you already hold a VCP level then you only need to do the VCP510-DT exam (which is without the vSphere bit I imagine). But if you are just starting, like me, you need to attend a qualifying course and then the VCPD510 exam, which is apparently with a bit of vSphere attached. For more info: https://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=28343&ui=www_cert

0 Kudos
rs990
Contributor
Contributor

I am guessing that the original poster is wondering if the VCP-DT exam is as in depth in vsphere as the VCP-DCV exam.

I can't answer this question, but one of my colleagues has done the DT test, and he said that maybe 50 questions were vsphere related, the rest were view related.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

My understanding is that the VCPD510 exam is around a 50:50 split between vSphere and View items, the exam blueprint also has 6 out of 12 sections related to vSphere.

The vSphere questions in the exam are similar/shared with those in the VCP510 exam for vSphere 5.0/5.1 - so study guides for VCP510 will help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
BrianMCSE
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I am in the same spot you are.  I took the class last week also...  Now I need to pass the VCPD510 exam.

I am also looking for training materials, exam study guides or other sources to help me with the test.

Most people think I am referring to another exam, but we know which one it is...

If I find anything helpful, I'll shoot you a PM.  Please do the same for me.

Brian

0 Kudos
rs990
Contributor
Contributor

There are plenty of study guides for the VCP-DCV exam, so I would use study guides for both the DCV and DT exams.

If you have the hardware, you can run a 60 day evaluation copy of esxi and vcenter in a test lab, either on physical hardware or workstation.  This allows you to play around with your environment without worrying about affecting a production environment.  There are also a few vmware appliances you can use to create virtual shared storage for the test lab.  I will take a look and update the thread with the appliance I used.

VMware hands on labs might also be worth a look.  http://labs.hol.vmware.com/HOL/

0 Kudos