VMware Edu & Cert Community
mwhitken
Contributor
Contributor

VCP510 Exam Deadline Date

I know the deadline is February 29th or else you have to take the class.  Does this mean I can take the test ON the 29th, or BEFORE the 29th?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - You can take the exam on February 29 but if you do not pass you will have to wait 7 days and will be required to attend the What's New class to obtain your VCP 5 certification.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So you are already a VCP4?

To quote from the VCP5 page: Already a VCP4? There is no course requirement until February 29, 2012

This implies that you must pass the exam before February 29th. It is risky leaving it that late anyway, if you don't pass you will not have a chance to do a re-take before the deadline.

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
mwhitken
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply.  Yes, I have been a VCP4 since July of 2010.  If I don't pass then it is really no big deal to me.  I have already upgraded 2 Datacenter's with seperate vCenter Servers.  I have personally done the upgrade from ESX and ESXi 4 to 5 for at least 20 hosts.  The hosts have not been much of a problem.  One of the vCenter Server upgrades did have a few hitches when it came to Digital Signatures, which I was able to work my way thru.  I also have anumber of clusters in the environment on 2 different EMC SAN's.  I have been administering VMware Servers since v.2.53, so I do have quite a bit of experience.  It would be nice to pass on the first shot, but I also don't feel the cost of taking the class is really justified and am a bit sad that VMware feels they need to extract more money from us to be Certified.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've been a VCP since ESX 2.5.3 days, and all VCP exams since then have had a "no compulsory training" grace period for at least the first few months after the release of an exam on the new version. It is of course in a vendor's interest to have a partner base of people certified in the current version of their software.

If you don't work for a partner, being a VCP or updating your VCP are things you either choose to do or not. I hope you get a pass on your VCP5 exam 🙂

Scott.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos