VMware Edu & Cert Community
Gonzouk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VCP5-DCV Exam and Lab question

Hello,

I'm prepharing for my VCP5-DCV exam using CBT Nuggets and a book by Brian Atkinson and have started to build my nested lab using workstation.  I am using evaluation keys which gives me 60 days and I guess all my work will be lost at the end?  I was just wondering what you guys do to extend this?  Or do you somehow backup your configs and rebuild again and restore your confis/settings?

Thanks

5 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

You can backup all the VMs either using a free backup software or through OVF export. Build the ESXi again and use them. After the evaluation the ESXi will stop working and you will have to either buy a license or re-install it to get another 60 days of eval.

You can also backup/restore some of the settings on the ESXi but since it is a lab there won't be critical configs and will be easier to build again.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Dan_Johnson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nothing hits home like repetition.

Build, Break, Rebuild.

60 days is a long time 🙂

If you found this or any other answer useful please use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points ---------------------------------------------------------------------- VCP4/5/6-DCV, VCAP5.5-DCA, VCAP6-DCD, VCIX6-DCV, VCIX6-NV ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me on Twitter @tattooedtechy
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator note: Moved to the VCP forum area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
CarlosAquino
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
gbrandt93
Contributor
Contributor

After you build it the first or second time, you may want to look into using Autolab.  This will automate the building of the lab so you can focus on the study, but I strongly recommend you build it yourself the first couple times to make sure you understand the install process.  If you want to make it a little easier, you can always export the harder to configure VMs and then re-import the OVA files.

Autolab writeup on ProfessionalVMware -= vSphere 5 AutoLab

Autolab site - http://www.labguides.com/autolab/

it is what I use for my study!

0 Kudos