VMware Edu & Cert Community
ChGPe
Contributor
Contributor

VCP5-DCV Exam Prep: Which course is appropriate for me?

I'm looking into pursuing a VCP5-DCV certification, and need to take one of the required pre-requisite courses. Right now, I'm trying to decide between "VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage" and "VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale".

Now, I've never acquired a VMware certification in the past, but I've been using vSphere/vCenter extensively for about 6 years (since ESX 3.5). I just recently went through a migration of a 4.1 environment to 5.1, and I'm very familiar and comfortable with all of the topics listed in the objectives of the "Install, Configure, Manage" course.

So for those who are familiar with the materials of these various courses, would someone like myself be able to comfortably jump to the "Optimize and Scale" class, or would I still get good benefits by attending the "Install, Configure, Manage" class? I just want to make sure that I'm not wasting money taking a course which isn't going to provide me with information I don't already know.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - I am a big fan of the Install and Configure and when I was instructor and had someone like yourself in my class they would comment that they did learn something to even with your experience I think you will learn somthing

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I would look at Fast Track or Optimize & Scale, or even the Troubleshooting Workshop.

Look through the outlines of each, have a look through the exam blueprint too, make a decision based on areas you might need to improve on for the exam plus knowledge you already have or are looking to gain.

WIth 6 years experience, I doubt that Install Configure Manage would be good value for money for you.

In terms of alignment with the exam, Fast Track is closest.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos