VMware Edu & Cert Community
redsage
Contributor
Contributor

VCP5-DCV - Confused?!?

I failed it last week. Spent a bit of time going through suggestions here and blueprint and have redoubled my effort. Score was 270.

So here is my confusion. I would say 50% of the exam was honestly topics I did not expect in such detail. I remember questions about AutoDeploy and using PowerCLI for DeployRules. I can honestly say I havent played with that hardly at all. I havent needed that in my infrastructure and from all the practice exams I took NONE of them focused on that. In fact it was usually mentioned in such a way that I thought having a good understanding of how it worked was enough.

So I found a resource on Pluralsight that I am pleasently surprised to say has helped me learn this topic a great deal. However, again and again I notice that it says these are topics mostly reserved for VCAP. Did I maybe just get unlucky on my questions on the test? I can honestly say it felt like Autodeploy, PowerCLI, and Host Profiles comprised a good portion, which is certainly why I failed. Beyond that was a huge portion of Troubleshooting, and once again the level of the questions "felt' more like the VCAP level.

It could certainly be that I just wasn't prepared for the difficulty. But in my review so far most of the questions that I remember are being covered by VCAP prep courses, instead of VCP.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
takecoffe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that,

Last month i have taken training from authorize training institute and this person is also told same, host profile, Auto Deploy, Distributed switch are based on the VCAP exam so he has just given overview and skip those topic in training.

but before scheduling exam i gone through blueprint and found those topics was available, so i prepared those in my home lab and cleared exam

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Yes those topics are covered more in depth in the VCAP exams buts they are in the VCP Blueprint so you should expect to see quesions on those topics - In terms of the number of questions you might have just been unlucky as it is my understanding that the exam is generated from a pool of questions and you just had the misfortune having more questions about Autodeploy and the like -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
gh0stnet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Those sound like questions/topics that are on the VCAP exam, I have not heard of anyone getting questions like that on the VCP exam. I would study them because they are on the blueprint so you could just be the first person to mention getting those questions on the exam. Also if you plan on going for your VCAP your going to need to know them anyways so it can only help to start learning them now.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Anything that's in the blueprint objectives can be tested on in the exam, I always suggest that studying including hands-on in as many areas of those objectives as possible is needed to score as well in the exam as possible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
redsage
Contributor
Contributor

Well luckily I had a free retake, so will take it again in a month or so. I was just really surprised at the level. We have been using this in production now for several years, with full Enterprise Plus licensing. Really thought I knew my stuff. I can say it has caused me to double my efforts on understanding some things I really didn't. That's a good thing! Starting to think I have things running too smoothly. I need more problems!!!

0 Kudos