VMware Edu & Cert Community
RAINguru84
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCP410 is a Nightmare

This is more of a statement than a question, but as I have failed the VCP410 exam this morning (for the 3rd time), I have to say that the exam seems to not be based on the exam blueprint (maybe 10%).  I have studied my brains out for this test on 3 occassions, particularly for this last one.  I have read and read over the docs, taken online practice exams, and done about everything I can think of....to no avail.  It seems if you do not work with the VMware products on a daily basis, you are just wasting your time with this exam.  Ahh....feels good to get that out!  Feel free to comment back.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I have to disagree with your comment about the exam not being based on the blueprint, I'm a VCP2 through to VCP5 and every time I've come out of one of the exams I've thought the exam items have been incredibly fair in comparison to the objectives stated in the blueprint.

Maybe it's something about your technique during the exam itself, the way you are approaching the exam items - I've written exam prep workshops for VCP4 and VCP5, I've trained dozens of people through those workshops, and have seen many cases where people knew their stuff but their technique was causing them problems.

As you know yourself you are now too late to qualify for VCP5 without having to attend vSphere 5 training - you will have the option then of skipping VCP4 and going straight for VCP5 if you wish.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would say that hands on experience definitely helped me when achieving all of my VCP certifications.   Any chance you can setup a test environment just to familirize yourself with some of the concepts?

0 Kudos
EdWilts
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It seems if you do not work with the VMware products on a daily basis, you are just wasting your time with this exam. 

From vmware.com/go/vcp [emphasis mine]:

This industry-recognized certification requires completion of a  VMware-authorized training course and hands-on experience with VMware  technologies. Achieving the VCP certification confirms that you have the  education needed to successfully install, deploy, scale and manage  VMware vSphere environments, as well as the skills obtained by a minimum  of six months experience with VMware infrastructure technologies.

I don't mean to be a snob, but if you're not working with the products on a daily basis, this certification is not designed for you.  I know people - and I was one of them - that worked with the product on a daily basis and still failed the exam.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why do you feel the VCP Certification is important to you?  If you are not using the product daily and have hands on, as others and you have noted, passing the exam will be extremely difficult.

0 Kudos
Ashrafali79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear Friend,

after two days if you vcp 4 you must take the course below so i suggest that wait and take the vsphere 5 course then enter VCP 510 Exam and i promise tgat you will pass ISA.

VMware Certified Professional on vSphere 5

Become a VCP5

There are different paths to VCP5 certification based on your background. Choose your path and complete the three core validation components:

1. Attend a qualifying VMware authorized course.
    Already a VCP4? There is no course requirement until February 29, 2012.

2. Gain hands-on experience with VMware vSphere 5.
  3. Pass the VCP5 Exam.

DEADLINE APPROACHING! The highlighted paths below are available until February 29th, 2012. All requirements must be met (including passing the exam) by February 29th to qualify!

Referance

http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrReg/plan.cfm?plan=12457&ui=www

0 Kudos
nava_thulasi39
Jump to solution

Hi,

VCP is the Gate pass to get opportunity to work with VMware now-a-days. I hope, you are looking for that opportunity.

1. You build the homelab for the practices.

2. Use Trainsignal or CBT Nuggets or Elias Khanesar video to get familar with VMware task.

2. Have you checked this VCP Workshop preparation from VMware. This is really very useful for the quick refresh.

http://mylearn.vmware.com/register.cfm?course=98158

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
RAINguru84
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have somewhat of a test environment, but not ellaborate enough to do all of the necessary testing/hans-on.

0 Kudos
RAINguru84
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did know this was a last shot at the VCP410.  I suppose I will need more experience before attempting the 5 version.  To answer about why I took it, I believe industry certifications are always a good idea.  Why not try it?  Smiley Happy  Thanks for all the replies.

0 Kudos
Bartmosss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can understand your feeling, but hands-on experience is very valuable to pass this exam. I am working with large SMB (mostly for VMware implantation) and many of the feature(like Auto-Deploy, Host Profile)  are not used by my clients and I must really work hard in my lab to pass the exam.

My lab is somewhat ordinary, so you could be able to make one like this one. (2 PC, vm with VMware Workstation, a simple NFS/ISCSI NAS with Openfiler). Not fast, but enough to test some feature.

I wish you could pass VCP 510, I found it harder than 410.. and I had 2 years more of experience.

Good luck!

MCP, A+, Network+, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I have to disagree with your comment about the exam not being based on the blueprint, I'm a VCP2 through to VCP5 and every time I've come out of one of the exams I've thought the exam items have been incredibly fair in comparison to the objectives stated in the blueprint.

Maybe it's something about your technique during the exam itself, the way you are approaching the exam items - I've written exam prep workshops for VCP4 and VCP5, I've trained dozens of people through those workshops, and have seen many cases where people knew their stuff but their technique was causing them problems.

As you know yourself you are now too late to qualify for VCP5 without having to attend vSphere 5 training - you will have the option then of skipping VCP4 and going straight for VCP5 if you wish.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
vGreg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You should have some exposure to vSphere 4 in order to pass, you don't need to be an expert per se, but some experience is helpful.  Don't be so discouraged.  Scrap VCP410, study for VCP510 and pass, that's your best bet at this point.  Good luck.  Here's a blog post I wrote about preparing for the exam  http://wp.me/pYfrf-Eo

Mark this reply helpful if in fact it was... Greg W. Stuart Network+, Security+, VCP4/5 blog: http://vdestination.com http://twitter.com/vDestination
0 Kudos