VMware Edu & Cert Community
vite1
Contributor
Contributor

VCP4 Exam study methods

I recently took a VMware vSphere Troubleshooting course and now I'm able to take my VCP4 EXAM.  I've been all over the map for studying and would like to get some study tips.

I've been a VMware Sys Admin and Engineer for about 7 years now and used the product a lot.

I have a hard time with Rote memorization which seems like a large part of this exam anyway!

Here is what I've done so far:

I Studied the Configuration Maximums.

Downloaded the latest VMware BluePrint Guide along with all of the documentation; I tend to over-read into everything and I don't read all that fast.  A lot of documents to cover and I'm just beginning.

I noticed a lot of the documentation tend to overlap and it gets a bit redundant (which I guess is good, practice-and-repeat).

I've setup nested Labs and regular labs.  I've built systems from the ground up over the years so I have the hands on knowledge.

I heard about Mastering VMware/vSphere Book as well.

I found some practice tests and Visual CertExam manager to practice with along with VMware's practice Exam.  Is this I good idea to keep going over? Or is it a waste of time?

I was wondering if there is an updated site/blog like this one that has updated information on VCP4 Exam.  This site has great notes that were added to VMware's BluePrint Objectives:

http://blog.b3rg.nl/vmware-certified-professional-on-vsphere-4-learning-guide/

by MathisjsBerg.  I found this to be a great reference as he really highlights the important topics with his added notes; he moved on and doesn't have an updated one.?

Is there way to find out which topic the this VCP4 EXAM is weighted as far as where to spend most of your time studying, eg., troubleshooting, Memorizing Maximums, VCenter, vSphere, virtulization layer, Storage etc.,?  Who and where, perhaps a book that has the best outline of focus on what to study/focus mostly on (above Mathis blog tends to come really close at least a few years back).?

I enjoy the process of studying for this as I love working with it.  It just seems like a lot of material and just as It seem like I have it down I do lousy on the practice tests.  I get overwhelmed very easy about all the material the exam/Study BluePrint guides covers!

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
vitalsign0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Honestly I think most study guides are a waste of time. You are better off spending time in vSphere just looking at menus and learning what everything does. I read Mastering vSphere 5 AND the Official VMware Prep Book and failed hard. The test isn't geared toward real world usage. There are a lot of subjective questions on it.

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor

I hear you vitalsign0

I think I read a couple of your posts along my research and like what you said.  I think you were the one that worked with VMware a lot over the years and people/your co-workers were suprised you didn't pass the first time.  Was that you?

You recently took the test again right?

If so what section would you spend most of your time on.  I, Like you spent a lot of time trying to memorize a lot of the config Maximums..

Also, do you think a lot of the practice tests you took were well worth it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This page on my blog should help: http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/vcp4-information-and-preparation.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi scott28tt

Do you have an updated version of this by MathisjsBerg.. I think you refferenced this in your notes?

http://blog.b3rg.nl/vmware-certified-professional-on-vsphere-4-learning-guide/

Also, I may have been looking at the wrong place in your blog, when I click on vCP4 tab it has 2009 notes.  Are these still good?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A lot of the materials/resources were made available back in 2009 during the first few months of the VCP4 exam being available.

The VCP4 exam is a 4.x exam, so whether you use 4.0 resources or 4.1 resources makes no difference to the answers you will be choosing in the exam.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott28tt and vitalsign0 ,  Thanks for your help so far.

I have a question as I follow the Objectives within the latest Blueprint for VCP4 Exam. 

On Objective 1.1 it lists under tools for the documentation of Installing VMware both vCenter Server Setup Guide, one being for ESX and the other ESXi,

Should I read both guides or just stick with the ESXi documents.

Also, vitalsign0 I take it you took and past VCP 4 either the first or second time?? I'm taking your tips as well and going through all of the Menus.

Scott on your notes which are the most updated on your blog for VCP4 as I may be hitting the wrong links.  I'm using your notes in conjunction with the Matthijs notes from 2009 that you recommended in your blog.

Thanks again as your help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
vite1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott,

I just found this in your blog:

I can confirm:

• You WILL get tested on the topics in the blueprint document, all of them
  • You WILL need to know some very detailed and specific pieces of information
  • You DO need to understand the products in the vSphere suite

So I guess this answers my question and study both Docs.  I just thought if they overlap a lot just stick to one.

Do you have your own BluePrint and or Docs where you suggest what documents to read first?

If you don't mind suggesting the most important docs to really focus on that would be great..

I downloaded all of the VSP docs and noticed a lot overlap I just rather get to the point and focus on the necessary subject matter.

As you know a lot of these documents can be pretty expansive..

I really want to study and read the Storage documentation a few times, and this alone is a lot!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The official blueprint and the documents referred to in it are your best resource - the rest is up to you now...

0 Kudos