VMware Edu & Cert Community
jackeales201110
Contributor
Contributor

VCP - Workstation 7 license upgrade to 8?

Does anyone know if there's an easy (hopefully free) process to upgrade the Workstation 7 license I have from passing my VCP 4 to version 8? I only got my license key a month or so ago, and if I'd bought it - I'd get a free upgrade.... does this count for VCP licenses also? Or can I just buy an upgrade for my V7 key?

Cheers

Jack

0 Kudos
21 Replies
EdWilts
Expert
Expert

I'm still waiting for my WS copy - it's been 6 weeks since I passed the exam. I got my notification that I passed quite a while ago but no certificate or copy of WS yet...  Sigh...

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos
marcins
Contributor
Contributor

I got my VCP several months ago; however, I was wondering the same thing. I know the upgrade price is only $99, but I was hoping for a better deal being VCP.

0 Kudos
EdWilts
Expert
Expert

I know the upgrade price is only $99

The quoted upgrade price is a bit of a ripoff IMO.  You can buy a full copy of v7 - not an upgrade - for $107 from buy.com.  Upgrades are considerably less than that from many vendors.

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos
techvet1
Contributor
Contributor

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that you would need to buy the upgrade.

VCP3 gets Workstation 6.0

VCP4 gets Workstation 7.0

VCP5 gets Workstation 8.0

That's just my guess.

http://virtualization.info/en/news/2011/09/release-vmware-workstation-8-0.html may be of help.  There's a link within that piece to a VMware page.

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The fancy paper and other stuff should generally be received within 4-6 weeks. If you don't get it in the next couple of weeks, ping me and I'll see what I can do to help find out where yours went.

As far as to whether the VCP 5 will have WS 8, I'm investigating this and am hoping to have an answer either today or tomorrow.

0 Kudos
JayArr
Contributor
Contributor

From what I understand on the licensing portal: for those who passed VCP4 after August 1st, you'll get bumped up automatically after 9/19 to Workstation 8.

Same rules apply - but I would like to know for others if VMware will be bumping all VCP's workstation licensing to 8, as well.

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Workstation 5? Did you mean 8? And do you have a link to where you got this info?

0 Kudos
EdWilts
Expert
Expert

Jason wrote:

From what I understand on the licensing portal: for those who passed VCP4 after August 1st, you'll get bumped up automatically after 9/19

Naturally.  I passed mine on July 31st...

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos
JayArr
Contributor
Contributor

The licensing portal says this (for my product key)

Upgrade Entitlements TimingUpgrades for the following products: View 5, Fusion 4, Workstation 8, Site Recovery Manager 5, and vFabric will be available on the licensing portal by the week of 9/19. If you have questions, please contact License support.

0 Kudos
JayArr
Contributor
Contributor

Congratulations on your VCP, nonetheless.

0 Kudos
sneddo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It took 8 weeks after passing the exam (about 6-7 from doing the mylearn tasks) for me to get mine if that helps.

I'd love to get the license upgrade to 8, but to be honest I would have preffered another Fusion license. One day maybe...

0 Kudos
swamisant
Contributor
Contributor

@ JayArr

When had you completed VCP?

Is the upgrade avaialble for you now?

0 Kudos
JayArr
Contributor
Contributor

It looks like they changed it to October 15th now.

Not sure why... but it looks like my trial will expire before I get my updated serial number now. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Seems confirmed that with VCP5 the Workstation license is v8.

But licenses are send only from oct 2012.

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Jason wrote:

It looks like they changed it to October 15th now.

Not sure why... but it looks like my trial will expire before I get my updated serial number now. Smiley Sad

Ummm.... Sep 15th + 30 days = Oct 15th, so trial should not expire.

Even if it does, you can still use the Workstation UI to create and edit VMs.  And the included Player engine will still work so you can run your VMs.  So you won't miss much functionality for the brief period of time where you don't have a valid version 8 serial.  🙂

0 Kudos
johnpearson
Contributor
Contributor

Do you know if there is (or will be) an upgrade path for previous versions of Workstation 6 or 7 that were acquired as a result of passing the VCP, or are all VCP Workstation licenses a one time gift and not upgradeable?  I requested clarification from support and was bounced over to to Edu support a few days ago, but have yet to hear anything back.  I would like to upgrade to WS 8 and save a $100 off the full retail box if possible.  Thanks.

John

0 Kudos
JayArr
Contributor
Contributor

John, I'm not sure if this would work for you, but check out <http://www.onthehub.com/> http://www.onthehub.com/

---

Jason Thoms

Sent from a mobile device.

0 Kudos
johnpearson
Contributor
Contributor

I should have stipulated that I was bounced over to VMware's Educational Services support que.  (I don't work for an edu)  I assume they control the software licenses for VCP's since Licensing Support steered me that direction.  All this stems from the fact I have a WS6 license (which I never upgraded) from my VCP3 cert and am curious about upgrades since on the upgrade page it says WS6 and WS7 versions are eligible.

John

0 Kudos
EdWilts
Expert
Expert

There's a 25% discount available right now for the VCP5 exam through 11/30.  Since the exam is $175, you're down to to $131 and you'll get both your VCP5 certfication and your Workstation 8 license (assuming you pass of course).

Codes for 25% off VCP/VCAP/VCA exams thru 11/30

VMWLV25 (VCP4, VCP5,VCA-DT)
VMWORLDLV25 (VCAP-DCD, VCAP-DCA or VCP4-DT)

.../Ed (VCP4, VCP5)
0 Kudos