VMware Edu & Cert Community
BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VCP Requirement Question

I have been implementing/supporting  vSphere for over 10 years and Horizon for 5, VxRail for the last 2 years.  I thought during this lock down would be a good time to explore and study for VCP certification, especially since I am in between jobs. Then everything I read says it requires a $4250 class. Wow. I just wanted to verify that this is true, there is no way around this? You cannot just prove yourself via testing? I am not against attending a class, and would enjoy it, but I am not in a financial position to spend that money.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There is literally only one path to any VCP for a newbie (to VMware training/certification) which does not include a training requirement: VCP-NV 2020 for those holding certain Cisco certifications.

Choose either the NSX-V or NSX-T track here and select the Cisco path: VMware Certified Professional - Network Virtualization 2020 (VCP-NV 2020)

So unless that's you, then you will have to meet the training requirement - as did every VCP in the world today (other than the Cisco folks who did NV)

Once you get your first VCP (on any of the 5 solution tracks which have a VCP), there are options to keep certified and gain additional certifications with no additional training requirement.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

3 Replies
tayfundeger
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

In order to get a VCP certificate, you must get training from a training center. VMware VCP certification cannot be obtained without training. Therefore, you will receive the Install Configure Manage or Optimize and Scale training and then take the exam.

--
Blog: https://www.tayfundeger.com
Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/tayfundeger

vBlogger, vExpert, Cisco Champions

Please, if this solution helped your problem, "Helpful" if it solves your problem "Correct Answer" to mark.
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

There is literally only one path to any VCP for a newbie (to VMware training/certification) which does not include a training requirement: VCP-NV 2020 for those holding certain Cisco certifications.

Choose either the NSX-V or NSX-T track here and select the Cisco path: VMware Certified Professional - Network Virtualization 2020 (VCP-NV 2020)

So unless that's you, then you will have to meet the training requirement - as did every VCP in the world today (other than the Cisco folks who did NV)

Once you get your first VCP (on any of the 5 solution tracks which have a VCP), there are options to keep certified and gain additional certifications with no additional training requirement.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Okay, thanks. I recently moved to Medellin, Colombia, be curious if there is even training available here.

I have 20 + years in IT, I can get by without this cert. My last MS cert was MCSE in Server 2000 LOL!

0 Kudos