VMware Edu & Cert Community
Heshamshokry1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCP-NV And VCP-DCV

Hi

I have a question i'm VCP-NV since 8 of jan and i got the approval for DCV Exam in 9 of jan,

I plan to take the exam next week can i take it or i have to do official VMware Vsphere course i've done the course at all self study now

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaAndrewsVM
Jump to solution

If you have not taken an official VMware course you cannot receive the VCP5-DCV certification.

If you are not Ciscso CCNA or have not taken an official VMware course you cannot receive the VCP-NV certification.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
JoshuaAndrewsVM
Jump to solution

If you have not taken an official VMware course you cannot receive the VCP5-DCV certification.

If you are not Ciscso CCNA or have not taken an official VMware course you cannot receive the VCP-NV certification.

0 Kudos
Heshamshokry1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your replay

I've taken VCP-NV through my cisco CCNA certficate

i saw your replays with other topics in this case you said after you have VCP-NV you can take your DCV without any course attendance !!

what happend

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM
Jump to solution

The process was clarified.

0 Kudos
Heshamshokry1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

which process ?

check the attachment

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM
Jump to solution

The process to progress from CCNA>VCP-NV>VCP5-DCV.

My initial posts were based on my interpretation of the blueprints at the time. 

0 Kudos
Heshamshokry1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

first of all thanks a lot for your help appreciated

I understand what you say very well but i know a lot of people are now DCV certified through NV

The problem is VMware changed the policy to take some additional money it's all about the money 

You know if this things was announced at the time i requested for the exam i will not take any vmware certificate but i'm now in tough situation after i take the NV and it's valid VCP certificate its not VCA and now i can't take any other certificate without course attend

Any way Thank you very much for your help again

Thanks VMware company for that situation i've learned the NSX and Vsphere products very well i don't care about your certificates any more  

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Those who gain their VCP-NV after taking an NSX class can then move to other certifications such as VCP-DCV with no additional training requirement. CCNA holders who just pass the exam for VCP-NV cannot do that - they have to meet the training requirement of the next certification they wish to do.

You have saved money compared to those who took the NSX training because they were not a CCNA.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jonhall
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Well said, Scott

All of our VCP certifications require and always have required training.

We recognize the networking skills that Cisco professionals have achieved, and have made a very unique exception for those professionals who want to certify within the networking track.

Jon 

Jon C. Hall Technical Certification Developer VMware, Inc.
0 Kudos
steveplz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After you've finished patting each other on the back for putting us in our place let me express my perspective on this "unique" opportunity as someone coined it.

1. Firstly I don't see putting my valuable time into learning and certifying on a vendor's products as a "unique" opportunity for me. At the risk of sounding conceited it's a unique opportunity for the vendor which brings far more rewards to their business than to me.

Frankly I thought the move by VMware to open up the cert to Cisco certified people was a BRILLIANT one meant to attract the interest of the already skilled routing and switching community out there. If I and the many others like me go back out into the customer land wanting to implement NSX that's a big win for VMware in my book. As such I fail to see the value in this petty annoyance and revenue raising exercise at the risk of alienating potential, and if I may say so without seeming conceited, VALUABLE market allies such as myself that have contacts in companies where we might evangelise the VMware message.

If, from the outset the * was there this debate would never have happened. As the other poster pointed out many people already used the VCP-NV without sitting any course and got VCP-DCV as that was consistent with the rule as we understood it -  once you had VCP you didn't need to attend a training course to get subsequent VCPs. Why would we expect this * behaviour when that's always been the "rule"? It was clearly stated that an exemption to the rule was granted to Cisco certified people according to the level of certification. Saying that a course has always been the rule is self contradicting since your rule was just changed for this particular circumstance and, might I point out, only for a limited time. My friend at VMware was the one who told me about it in the first place and he was as surprised as me when I told him about the *.

VMware then sneakily slipped in that * (sorry I should have said “clarified” the situation) and slammed the door on the rest of us without so much as a blog post to explain or warn of the change of policy. If this was an oversight on VMware's part then please cancel all those invalid VCP-DCV certs out there, apologise, refund the exam costs including travel and accommodation where applicable and we'll all move on. Don't sit on your high horse and tell us to suck it up and like it when it is blatantly unfair! As for the statement  “All of our VCP certifications require and always have required training.” That is patently untrue. Every VCP lists having another VCP entitles you to sit the exam without attending formal training. So if all VCP certifications require training then why only require it for the first one? If only the first VCP requires training and if I just qualified for an exemption of said training why should that affect the rule that was always in place that having a valid VCP exempts me from the training requirement or are you saying my VCP-NV is not equivalent to someone who has sat the training? All VCP-NVs are equal but some are more equal than others is it? It just proves that I don’t really need the training but VMware insists so they can take my hard earned AUD and buy the nice biscuits for all the VPs and the shiny plaques for their office doors.

2. I find this kind of attitude from vendors - that you are doing the world at large some kind of altruistic favour by us not having to pay you for the privilege of certifying on your products and then going on to support your revenue stream by promoting, selling and servicing those products nothing short of conceited. Keep on down that path why don't you and see where it leads?

This approach to customers of dictating what's good for us was the way of IBM. Have you read the news lately on how they're going? Here's a couple of excerpts I found about what’s happening in IBM today -

"Its financial results show time is running out. IBM, once as big as the rest of the computer industry combined, is not a happy place. And it is about to become a lot unhappier."

"Once was a time when to work for IBM was a badge of honour, and having worked for them was a passport to success in any other company in the industry. Now constant reorganisations and outsourcing and offshoring have left a workforce shell-shocked and demoralised."

I worked for IBM Global Services for a year on contract once and I wanted to cut my wrists. Couldn't wait to get out of there and yet as it says above ""Once was a time when to work for IBM was a badge of honour".

3. Please don't slip as you climb down from your ivory tower to meet with us mere mortals (that's sarcasm in case you're American and don't get it, oops sorry more sarcasm). I'm Australian if you want to retort and demean my nationality in response, convicts, etc. etc.. It's only fair I give you equal opportunity. If you're not American then I apologise profusely for suggesting you were and if your Canadian oh God no. I'm so so sorry for suggesting you might be American. Again with the sarcasm, lowest form of wit I've heard but when I'm annoyed it just rolls off the tongue/fingers.

4. OK if you are American and have any influence over your nuclear arsenal or armed forces policies please don't nuke me or invade Australia just to make a point. You're the boss OK? I surrender.

5. Oh sorry, where was I again? Back to haranguing the evil empire. Ha tricked you - see point 6.

6. I love VMware! The product is great! It's amazing and I'm just so damn impressed I could burst. NOOOOOO it's not sarcasm. I'm serious. VMware ROCKS! And not all American's deserve my ire. I've met a lot of Americans and visited NYC, Grand Canyon, etc. etc. It's an awesome and beautiful country. Good job living there. Some Americans are good. Not all Americans are good but all have the potential to improve.

Let me be clear as I know you've been waiting patiently to get back at me for more than 5 points now. I'm not tarring the whole of VMware with the same dirty slimy festering decay covered brush. There are always bad apples in any bunch so I don't believe those miserable penny pinchers that are screwing us out of our entitlements (prediction you’re champing at the bit to go for the word entitlements aren’t you? I can hear you grinding your teeth. Patience I’m almost done as by now I’m just so damn tired and sick of the sound of my own voice/thoughts) represent the majority of great VMware'rs 🙂

I want to say loudly and happily that I am highly impressed by the people in VMware I have dealt with during my studies of NSX. I had the good fortune to communicate with a few of them to point out some errors in the HOLs and my recommendations from a routing guys perspective on how I thought some improvements could be made. All of the guys were very approachable and extremely helpful and not at all offended that I was pointing out errors. Of course I wasn't meaning to be critical of the HOL, quite the opposite as I just wanted to give back something to help. Awesome - doers not nay sayers.

I don't regret for a moment all the study I did to pass NSX VCP as I found it fun and for the first time in a while IT was exciting again. I might even give the VCIX-NV a try while it’s fresh in my mind as to be honest, after CCIE written recerts, the VCP exam wasn’t nearly as difficult as the blueprint suggested. That damn long list and vbrownbag videos had me brownbagging in my pants expecting the worst. Good job on that though as I really studied hard and probably learned a lot more than I would have if not for that fear factor.

In fact I'm seriously contemplating going back in the next couple of weeks while the knowledge is still fresh and doing the VCIX-NV exam. I glossed over the blueprint and there are some areas I'd need to bone up on and practice a bit more such as command line troubleshooting, vCAC configuration with NSX and REST API usage and I think I'll be good to go. I'll do some more reading up on the blogs about it from people who have done it and see what I think. After experiencing the level of VCP exams of which this was my first I can see why VMware chose to make the higher level VCIX-NV the exam available with the  course exemption for CCIEs. I'd only rate VCP at the CCNA level as far as difficulty or possibly lower since Cisco employ adaptive exams and some emulation to allow command line configuration simulations, etc. I could be wrong as I never did CCNA but went straight for the gold of CCIE

I’ve been a CCIE for more than 15 years and in the IT industry since before the IBM PC. I had to wind up my first computer and scare the hamster into running around the wheel to get the binary set of LEDs to work and it was programmed in Octal gosh darn it! Ask the kids of today and I bet they don’t even know what Octal is! OK I exaggerate but you get the point. To be honest it was all starting to bore me but virtualisation and NSX ignited my enthusiasm again.

Oh and “You have saved money compared to those who took the NSX training because they were not a CCNA.” Oh gee thanks again for you’re unbridled generosity. Hmmm, do I remember how much I paid Cisco for CCNA training again? Oh yeah that’s right it was NOTHING. Oh but how about my CCIE training course that I had to do before attending the two day lab to certify. That must have been darn expensive eh? Wait for it…. wait for it….

I PAID NOTHING, NADA, ZIP, ZERO, nula, efu. Need I translate the Czech and Igbo for you? Guess what they mean ZEEEEEEEEEEERO. And yes that’s the sarcasm again. I tried to slip it in there quietly and “clarify” it but you caught me just like VMware was caught trying to pull the wool over our eyes. You tried, EPIC FAIL - you’re BUSTED!

So pleeeeeeease just make this right. You know in your heart of hearts (never new what that expression meant but it seems somehow appropriate) if’s not really fair. You built it and we came but then you changed the rules. Just fix it like you know you should and stop pretending you’re doing the right thing. You know it’s not right. I know it’s not right. Heshamshokry1 knows it’s not right but most of all you know it’s not right.

Do I sound ridiculous, childish, stupidly stubborn, puerile, all of that and more? Well guess what? It was intentional! This whole argument is ridiculous. Hell, you know what? I don’t care because I’m taking my toys home and I’m going to get other toys to play with. Microsoft toys and Citrix toys and you’re not invited! Hah. Whatcha gonna do about that? You’re not the boss of me ha ha.

steveplz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

More information on VMware Asteriskgate as word spreads like wildfire in the IT community of this injustice. "The little man won't be bullied by big corporations like VMware" is being chanted in the virtual streets.

You can read my entire post on Chris Wahl's blog but this is the main part I wanted to mention in my last post but got carried away with the hissy fit at the end and forgot. Still taking my toys though.

http://wahlnetwork.com/2014/08/25/now-available-vmware-certified-professional-vcp-network-virtualiza...

I have been chatting with Christopher Kusek and he originally had the following post on his blog –

http://www.pkguild.com/2014/11/the-vcp-nv-is-your-ticket-to-escaping-the-vcp-class-requirement-for-v...

The VCP—NV is your ticket to escaping the VCP

“Class requirement” for VCP—DCV!

He confirmed my suspicions that this wasn’t previously the case

“Yes you’re completely spot on. This is a completely new policy. I know this because I had several of my network engineers while I was in Afghanistan go through get their VCP-NV and THEN go get their VCP-DCV. (Which was why I had published that in the first place)

Your pointing this out is enough for me to put out a blog post on this which is ridiculous. ”

Subsequently he updated his blog.

Christopher Kusek, Technology Evangelist » VMware feels the ‘pinch’ an...

"VMware feels the ‘pinch’ and “invalidates” the

VCP—NV as a ‘‘valid VCP Certification”

Heshamshokry1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Very big thanks for ENG.steveplz

Thanks again for VMware for rolling back as alwayes and congrats for the people who take DCV before this new policy "We are out of luck"

ENG.steveplz you know as you said it's not a problem i'll study something else like citrix i started on it

I don't care about VMware certificate any more

Again Thanks a lot for your comment and i totally agree about every word you typed

Attn: Check The Attachment

0 Kudos
steveplz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You're welcome Heshamshokry1 but don't write VMware off yet. They can still show some decency and admit to their error by reversing the decision to punish us unjustly for their errors

I also urge you to not blame all the good people at VMware for the few who are causing us this pain. Admitting ones mistakes, taking responsibility and suffering the consequences takes courage and character. I have faith that VMware will prove they are not the uncaring monster that they appear to be in this case.

I just had a chat yesterday with my 7 year old son Daniel about the exact same issue of moral obligation to own up to one's mistakes and wrong doings, take responsibility and face the consequences. In much more simple terms I told him that sometimes we all make mistakes but covering them up is wrong and often only makes matters worse. Being truthful and accepting the consequences of your actions is not always the easy choice but it is always the right choice. Confessing doesn't necessarily lead to absolution (unless you're a Catholic I guess) and it's sometimes hard to punish our children but not to do so in my opinion is a form of child abuse in itself. I'm not talking about any particular type of punishment. My weapon of choice is withdrawal of iPad privileges. I sometimes feel worse than my poor son as I can appreciate the lonely feeling of being disconnected from the Internet 🙂

Naturally as children do they still tend to lie and cover the truth in the hope that punishment or responsibility can be avoided. God knows I did my fair share of that as a child and the end result always turned out worse than if I had have come clean to my misdemeanours and taken my just punishment. Another childish strategy is to pass blame or draw attention to someone else to avoid the spotlight. In this case onto us - we are ungrateful for the great privilege VMware has kindly bestowed upon us so we are at fault somehow for trusting them at their word. Perhaps we're just naive?

Our job as good parents is to educate and teach our kids how to be responsible for their actions and accept punishment when it is deserved. VMware is just behaving like a naughty child and sulking in silence in response to our accusations or offering weak arguments which they know don't hold water. Let's see if, like my son, they eventually come to there senses and enjoy hugs and kisses all round 🙂 Even when my son is naughty withdrawal of my love is never my punishment and I tell him so even as, daily, he seems to do his best to drive me and his mother nuts (some may say it's only a short drive for me but I'd say a short walk).

I still love VMware even if they are driving me nuts but hope they'll be adult about it since it's even worse when an adult acts childishly. After all, the amount of money we're talking about, while it's a big deal to us, is such a small thing for their company. Like the child analogy though admission of guilt and realisation of genuine repentance doesn't always come easily.

In the meantime I'm glad that you're motivated to look at Citrix. A friend of mine in Australia is a developer at Citrix. They are undoubtedly the pioneers of Virtual Desktop and I hope will be around for at long time to come. Competition breeds innovation and I hope there'll always be alternatives and not monopolies. There's certainly no harm in gaining more valuable knowledge apart from VMware and I hope you'll keep in touch and share with me your experiences both with Citrix and hopefully one day again with VMware.

I wish I had the time to look into everything that interests me and also that I was about 1000 times smarter - I'm not into drugs at all but if someone offered me that pill depicted in the movie Limitless I'd take it in a second. I guess that knowledge is my addiction. I am so sorry I probably won't be around to see the wonders my son will experience after I'm gone. He takes for granted smart phones and iPads, tablets, etc. but I didn't even imagine such marvels. My first computer at about the age of 15 was a Dream 6800 with a Motorola 6800 processor I think. I had to program it in hex as it didn't even have assembly language let alone Basic! Oh but I am sounding old ha ha.

Carry on and never give up! Try anything as people who achieve greatness often do so as they don't expect to fail. They do the extraordinary not because they set out to do something they think is fantastic but because no one told them it couldn't be done.

I hope I've inspired you and made you laugh. To be honest I should thank VMware even more. I haven't had this much fun in ages 🙂

Follow me on Twitter if you like @steveplz. I'll probably start tweeting more and you can find me on LinkedIN if you want to connect. I'm inspired to start blogging and sharing so I'll try to get that off the ground too. I'm living with my wife Vera and our son Daniel in the Czech Republic at the moment having taken time out from the hectic IT world for a breather and to spend time with the family. We'll be returning to Sydney in August this year which is where I usually call home. I have to try to improve my Czech language too but it's a difficult language. Yes, it's clearly time to start blogging as I have so much material. Laughably I was shy and withdrawn in my teenage years and believe it or not I don't talk much but I love the medium of text. I have always loved to read too but I confess mostly fiction which is my "drug" of choice.

All the best,

Steve.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I don't believe it was ever a "policy" for those achieving VCP-NV via the Cisco path to be able to have the door opened to other certifications - it was a short-term promotion to bring VCP-NVs into the market, similar to the exam discount promotions used in the past when a new certification has been launched.

To me, this isn't a shift in policy, as it was never policy to begin with.

If anything, the website and exam blueprints should have been updated sooner to make it clear.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
StevePantol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It may never have been capital-P Policy, but folks affiliated with VMware sure let that implication linger. Frankly, anyone that can pass CCNA, VCP-NV, and VCP-DCV without taking an official course should be celebrated, not smacked down.

perugipj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also believe that folks, like myself,  who have taken and successfully passed VCP3, VCP4 AND VCP5 exams should not ALSO be smacked down over this unnecessary rush to re-up before vSphere 6 is released.

0 Kudos
steveplz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Heshamshokry1,

My advice to you is that you should just keep checking the (VCP5-DCV) VCP-Data Center Virtualization page now and see the explanation below.

Please check the  see my latest comment in the thread of the discussion "Asteriskgate coverup and the VCP-NV - When is a VCP not a VCP?"

Briefly -

"Apparently there is no * and there never was an *.........."

Evidently it was an attack of mass hallucination probably induced by some of those weird graphical optical illusions flashing subliminally at around 100Hz or more.

For the record I'm done with this and just overjoyed that it was all just an unfortunate misunderstanding and we can go back to drinking and loving the VMware coolade!"

I have marked that question assumed answered now so please don't post any more comments. If you want to discuss anything please email me at stephen.polzin@gmail.com

Cheers and good luck.

Steve.

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM
Jump to solution

>I also believe that folks, like myself,  who have taken and successfully passed VCP3, VCP4 AND VCP5 exams should not ALSO be smacked down over this unnecessary rush to re-up before vSphere 6 is released.

VCP3 use to require a full class before upgrading to VCP5-DCV

VCP4 use to require a "What's New" class before upgrading to VCP5-DCV

As of last March there are no class requirements to upgrade to VCP5-DCV.  At that point you have 2 years to upgrade to VCP6.

After March 10, VCP3 will go back to requiring a full class to upgrade, VCP4 will move up to requiring a full class to upgrade - which is inline with the historic scenarios.

The only thing new is VCP2/3/4 got the huge benefit of no class requirement for a year.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The Certification team decided to make it consistent across all VCP certifications that once you have a VCP you will not need to complete a course to move to another Solution Track. This means that people who earn VCP-NV through a Cisco certification will not need to take a course.

steveplz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I wrote a long and windy post, not saying anything bad but going on an on as is my tendency to do but then I pressed delete and decided to stick with this and go to get some much needed sleep.

Thank you to VMware for reconsidering your position on the VCP pre-requisite. I believe it's a wise and forward thinking choice that will benefit VMware in the market far more than harm it but you didn't have to change it back so accept my gratitude. Thanks for listening to the small and somewhat annoyingly nasally Australian voice of this tired old CCIE. Not that I'm wanting to take credit (although I'd like to think I got the ball rolling) but whatever the reason I'm celebrating with fellow Cisco certified VCP aspirants everywhere :smileylaugh:

I hope VMware doesn't put me on any kind of blacklist now.:smileycry:

All the best and remember to keep it real,

Steve.

P.S. Just remember that someone else may keep it "realer" so beware and go to Youtube to watch some of Dave Chapelle's training videos on this subject.

Warning: Don't watch if you're offended by some swearing which is why I don't post any links to such videos directly on this forum.

0 Kudos