VMware Edu & Cert Community
sforehand
Contributor
Contributor

VCP-DTM Resources? Roadmap?

Good Day Everyone.

I recently completed the "VMware Horizon 8 Install, Manage, Configure with App Volumes Fast Track" course.  Id like to pursue the VCP-DTM certification, but am having trouble finding resources to study for the exams.  I understand there are 2 exams that I have to pass, one for "vSphere Foundations" and another for "VMware Professional Horizon X".

1) It seems like on certification / testing 2V0-51.19, everything I look at for testing has X as 7.7, but the course was on 8.  Does this make a difference?  Will there be a test on 8 released anytime in the future?  If testing on 8 will be released sometime soon, wouldn't it make sense for me to wait until they are released before taking the exams so they don't "time out" as soon?  I understand 7 and 8 are pretty close, but if Im spending 100s on exams and study materials it would be nice to be sure I am studying the correct materials and get the most up to date testing.

2) What resources are available for vSphere foundations 2V0-01.19?  I have been working in vSphere as an administrator for the past 6.5 years, but all of the test examples I have seen on the internet appear to be way over my head.  Also, some places mention this as an "open book" unproctored exam, is that true?  I do understand VMware wanting their certified professionals to know vSphere, it would be nice to have more resources available for someone like myself who is by no means an expert and only has experience as an administrator.  A nice Sybex would be great, but so far I have not been able to find anything current.

The VMware certification websites are a little confusing to me.  They tell you what you need to pass and where to go to pass it, but they are a little thin on details like what is current and what is up and coming.  Another useful tool would be some links to resources free or otherwise that can help you get the training or knowledge you need to pass.  Google offers a absolute landslide of test prep tools, but some seem a little sketchy.  Im a little hesitant to put down hard earned money on something of questionable content that may or may not be current.

Anyways, after taking the Horizon class, I cant recommend it enough.  It was absolutely awesome, but if Im taking exams I'd like to prepare a little more.

Thank you for your time,

Steve

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Horizon 8 exam in the pipeline - there usually is for major versions, VMware don't make future release dates publicly available though, so judging the timing might be "interesting" for you. As you've trained on 8, you would meet the training requirements for a VCP-DTM path that included an exam on 8. If no exam on 8 becomes available in time for you, and you have to take an exam on 7, then just be aware of the differences.

2. With the current Horizon 7 exam path for VCP-DTM, you must also pass vSphere Foundations - yes it is "non proctored" meaning you can take it in any environment you choose. I've linked to some resources below in case that is something you end up doing. Assuming there will be a Horizon 8 exam, it remains to be seen if you would also need to do vSphere Foundations as part of the VCP-DTM path, as Horizon is now hosted on non-vSphere platforms as well as vSphere.

https://www.vmware.com/education-services/certification/vsphere-6-7-foundation-exam.html

https://www.veeam.com/wp-unofficial-vmware-foundations-exam-guide.html

https://www.vladan.fr/vcp6-7-dcv/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
sforehand
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply Scott.  What you are saying makes sense and I will keep an eye on the VMware certification sites for news.  I am under no hard requirement to be certified by a particular date, so waiting makes the most sense to me.  I will take a look at the vSphere resources you reference out of curiosity...  By the way - Great Blog!  One thing I always notice about you VMware guys, you have a passion for the subject matter!

Thanks Again,

Steve

Tags (1)
0 Kudos