VMware Edu & Cert Community
Ramy_Riz
Contributor
Contributor

VCP-DCV510 Failed

http://www.pearsonitcertification.com/store/official-vcp5-certification-guide-9780789749314

Hello,

I just took my VCP-DCV510 exam and scored a 223.  I am using a book that was part of a course that I purchased with VMware, however, I feel there a lot of information that was on the exam and I did not get from the course or the book.  Does anyone have an suggestions on other material or books that might help me.  Completely off topic, does anyone know the pass rate for the VCP?

I place the link of the book I used on the top of this discussion. I reviewed it from cover to cover. Does the DCV510 include anything from 5.5? I have also been working with ESXi for 6 months.

Thanks

Tags (1)
8 Replies
JoshuaAndrewsVM

The VCP510 exam has been updated at least twice since the book was published, but does not include anything from 5.5.

You downloaded the exam blueprint and went over every section?  There are lots of blogs on the exam that go over the blueprint section by section like VCP-5   and http://blog.mwpreston.net/vcp-5/ 

The pass rate is not published.

Ramy_Riz
Contributor
Contributor

That makes sense.  Its funny I contacted a rep from VMware and I asked him if anything has changed in regarding VCP510 and the book that was offered by the course and he said no.  Thanks for the blog sites, by any chance do you have a recommended book to review?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The blueprint, coupled with studying from the product documentation, and playing with the software in a lab - that's a good (and free!) way to prepare...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
joetunon
Contributor
Contributor

I would have loved to prepare for free, but it is a requirement to take an official course. The salt in the wound (for those of us who paid for training out of our own pockets) is that the blueprint, supporting product docs, a lab, and sample questions (MeasureUp and other 3rd party exam prep sites) do a better job at prepping you for the exam, and without the high price tag. Using the former, I got a 284 (fail). Using the latter, I got a 465 (pass!). I almost doubled my score. It was a bittersweet success. Why was I required to pay for "official" training that was so lacking in content and sample exam-like questions? FWIW, I tried the newer OnDemand Self-Paced training, and it was replete with errors and missing major content for the exam. (No distributed switches? No DRS?) Rant over. I'm glad I passed. But I'm very dissatisfied with the training.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VCIs don't "train to the exam" - they train you on the product, you then learn yourself what you need to know to apply to the exam or work situations etc. I wouldn't want to attend a course where the instructor only helped me pass the exam - I would want something more real that I can apply afterwards in my role.

The training requirement means there are no "paper VCPs" - or it at least guarantees instruction and hands-on with the product.

The blueprint is vital in preparing to pass the exam, it is clear from that what you need to know how to do regardless of which training course you've attended.

The Fast Track course is the most closely aligned to the exam objectives, you can see that if you look through the course datasheet for the various training courses and the blueprint.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
joetunon
Contributor
Contributor

Every VCP I've spoken to said that their VCI gave them exam pointers as part of their training. (Remember, I took an official but non-VCI led training course ;-). I'm with you in the importance of trying to eliminate the "paper VCP" problem, but the way to do this is not by throwing trick questions or asking for technical minutia that you would NEVER need to have memorized in the real world! I emailed Bill Ferguson, the author of the VMWare Official Cert Guide, with my concern and he graciously responded that I was not alone in my frustration, and that VMWare was even looking into other testing methods, including simulations, though nothing had changed as of yet.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Exam pointers, yes - but teaching to the exam, probably not.

Remember that VCP is a lower-level certification from VMware these days, sitting underneath VCAP/VCDX - so personally I'd expect the format to remain more Q&A saving advanced exam techniques for the higher level certification exams.

I passed more than 20 Q&A exams for various Microsoft certifications (up to MCSE level) prior to switching to a VMware-specific role.

Chakraem
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How much time can u afford for this exam ? and apart from those 6 months of your ESXi experience , did you take official VMware instructor led course ?

VCP-Cloud, VCP5-DCV, VCA-Cloud, VCA-WM & VCA-DCV
0 Kudos