VMware Edu & Cert Community
Hutoa
Contributor
Contributor

VCP-DCV 5.5 Knowledge of command line required?

I'm just going through the prep for the VCP-DCV 5.5 before my VCP-DCV 4 expires and after reading the official cert guide it appears that all the key topics are examples of how to do things in the web client. For example add a VSS or vDS or add an uplink. 

I'd like to understand from those who have taken it recently or those who work on the exam scope, wether the current exam requires knowledge of how to do these operations on the command line?

The VCP4 was far too command line focused IMHO.  Asking people to know if a command switch is 'command -e vmnic1' OR 'command -a vmnic1' is a little much considering that the commands have a help switch.  This to my mind doesn't test skills in virtualisation but tests skills in memory. Also how much does the test rely on memory of config maximums as again VCP4 was littered with max port groups, max hosts on a vDS, number of SCSI devices for VM etc.

Many thanks for your time to help answer these questions for the community.

Rob Longdon

Senior Systems Engineer.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Review the exam blueprint for the objectives/documents/tools that you will get tested on: https://mylearn.vmware.com/lcms/web/portals/certification/VCP_Blueprints/VCP-DCV-VCP550-Exam-Bluepri...

There are a few mentions of the DCUI, which could involve shell access.

There are no "What's the maximum number of...." questions these days, but a working knowledge of some maximums can help with the troubleshooting questions in the exam.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos