VMware Edu & Cert Community
cluke89
Contributor
Contributor

VCP-DCV 2021

As a VCP-DCV2020 and taking the 2VO-21.20 exam, I'm now on the task of renewing to DCV2021 and now being told that to re-certify I have to take a VMware course and yet I already have the same exam as being suggest to take for the DCV2021 exam.I

If this is correct then there is no direct upgrade path for 2021, unless you undertake VMware course

0 Kudos
12 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@cluke89 

Select the VCP-DCV 2020 path on this page: https://www.vmware.com/education-services/certification/vcp-dcv.html

You can EITHER pass an exam OR attend training:

Screenshot 2021-03-24 at 10.01.29.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
cluke89
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott,

Yes that's the path I'm following, but the issue is that the exam is the same for both DCV2020 and DCV2021 2VO-21-20 and I cant take the exam twice. In effect I'm being mandated to take a course for an exam I've already taken and passed

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@cluke89 

I see what you mean.

What is the desire for you to have VCP-DCV 2021? There's nothing from the VMware side that says you have to update every single year.

I can't imagine there will be any new "professional" level vSphere exams released this year...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
cluke89
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott,

Thank you - someone that gets it. Trying to explain this to the internal Learning team is falling on deaf ears - you have to take a VMware course is whats coming back, which is crazy.

Yes, your correct that we don't have to re-certify each year, working with a VMware partner it doesn't look good to say that we've missed a yr on our certifications with our PS services.

0 Kudos
rsaulitis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi @scott28tt 

I also have strange situation with upgrading my VCP-DCV 2020 to 2021. VMware has mentioned that I need to pass exam (which I did when I got VCP-DCV 2020) or attend one of courses mentioned. I have attended two of listed courses in end of 2020 and now there is no chance to upgrade certificate because in list there is only two courses On-demand type and I have already finished them. 

So we bought enterprise learning in October of 2020, did all requirements to get 2020 certification and now we need to pay more to attend some of classroom type course because On-demand courses from list doesn't count anymore? So money wasted for enterprise learning, or I'm wrong?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@rsaulitis 

Same question as above really - what is your motivation for also gaining VCP-DCV 2021?

Please bear in mind that although I work for VMware, I am not part of the Learning organisation - I might be able to help but only indirectly.

0 Kudos
rsaulitis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@scott28tt 

Employer is paying for us and want's that we get newest certification, so we can proof  to customers that we are professionals and we know what we are doing, that we have enough knowledge about products which are offered from VMware and so on.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@rsaulitis 

You are able to create a transcript in Certification Manager which can show all your certifications and exams - this can be shared with anyone you choose.

https://www.certmetrics.com/vmware/candidate/transcripts.aspx

While it might not show VCP-DCV 2021 it will still prove that you're as up to date as you can be.

0 Kudos
rsaulitis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@scott28tt 

Sadly but the only proof to Employer is proof of certification, because anyone can attend courses online, and that doesn't guarantee your professionalism. So this why certification is so important.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@rsaulitis 

I've done all I can personally do to offer help.

0 Kudos
KarlChilds
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi everyone, this is a great thread and highlights an issue we are aware of. In cases where a new exam isn't available right away, it does limit the ways to upgrade year by year. As we evolve to better reflect the faster pace of not only partner ecosystem and other needs as expressed here, but also the fast pace of our SaaS products and solutions, there will be more opportunities to upgrade through testing and possible deltas (that's TBD), so you have a choice of training or exam in every case. 

I know that doesn't solve the immediate problem here, but will help to mitigate it in the future. As Scott mentions, the transcripts may help, as well as the higher-level training (e.g. Troubleshooting) if is of value.

cluke89
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Karl,

Thanks for responding to this thread, and acknowledging that there is an issue for those VCP's that have taken the 2020 exam 2V0-21.20 or any potential Certified VMware professional that wishes to upgrade their certification year by year.  As you mentioned in your response, this doesn’t resolve the immediate issue at hand.

I agree there is value in the higher level training (the majority of which is not available on demand via the VMware Training portal, they are some courses being offered via Zoom (not an ideal)) or would require on-site training, which is not ideal in the current climate either).  In addition to passing the exact same exam 2V0-21.20 as required for DCV2021, my understanding is that none of the existing V7 training has been updated for 2021.

From my point of view, all VCP's that have passed the DCV2020 exam should have their status updated to DCV2021 to reflect this and not have to be mandated to undertake any V7 course due to VMware not updating there exam syllabus year by year.   I would also suggest that any advanced certification eg VCAP should have a valid period of two years as this in no small endeavor in a singe year.

0 Kudos