VMware Edu & Cert Community
lminarik1
Contributor
Contributor

VCP-DCV 2021 upgrade to (VCP-DCV 2022?

Greetings,

last year I completed training (VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting) and in december I passed the exam 2v0-21.20. By doing this, I received the VCP-DCV 2021 certificate.

Now I would like the new VCP-DCV 2022 certificate, however I am not sure how to accomplish this. 

According to the certification page I should be able to upgrade it by completing the exam with same code as I already did: https://www.vmware.com/learning/certification/vcp-dcv.html 

When trying to register for the exam I receive the message that I am not allowed to take the previously passed exam. This makes complete sensse, but now I am stuck.

Is the only option for me to complete another training for v7?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

In your specific case, the answer to your question is "yes".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
bryanoconnor21
Contributor
Contributor

That is the case, I was also a VCP-2021, passed in vSphere 7, so I made the decision to gain a VCP in something different and went for the VCP-NV 2022, trying to collect the set, I am a VCI and spend quite a bit of time explaining the process at the beginning of each course 

0 Kudos
petarbr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott,
I am in the same problem, and please elaborate YES a little bit, meaning:
Is the passing the exam the option or not?
If it is, Is the option to pass PSE if you have partner account,
or there is other option in the game regarding this or some other exam? 

If not (maybe what u have already said, but I am not quite sure),
we have only one option which is to participate in some of the trainings.

Thanks,
Petar

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@petarbr 

The answer for you might be different depending on what training and exams you have already completed, give that detail here if you're happy to share.

There's no connection between a PSE exam and whether you work for a VMware partner.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
petarbr
Contributor
Contributor

Trainings that I have finished in last two years are:
  - VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting [V7] - last year, 
  - VMware vSphere: Design [V 7] - this year.
Certificates I already have (not counting old VCPs 4,5,6):
  VMware Certified Advanced Professional - Data Center Virtualization Deploy 2022
  VMware Certified Implementation Expert - Data Center Virtualization 2022
  VMware Certified Advanced Professional - Data Center Virtualization Design 2022
  VMware Certified Advanced Professional - Data Center Virtualization Design 2021 
  VMware Certified Professional - Network Virtualization 2021
  VMware Certified Professional - Data Center Virtualization 2021

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@petarbr 

Compare what you have done to the paths on this page: https://www.vmware.com/learning/certification/vcp-dcv.html

From the VCP-DCV 2021 path, you can't do option 1 as you've already passed that exam, and your Design class is not on the list for option 2.

I don't think you're a VCP-DCV 2022 today in spite of everything you have done, and your only option right now is to take another class, or wait to see if a new exam is released.

Email certification@vmware.com and ask them.

petarbr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Scott, a lot.

Not pleasant to hear, but we had to face with those senseless facts,
Senseless because for the new certificate that relay on VCP, you have to have VCP 2022,
and you have recertificated it a year before, you hold VCP 2021,... 

Regards,
Petar

0 Kudos
MattFordVCP1978
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

sounds like vExpert material to me...

0 Kudos
astefa7
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott,

do you happen to know if I can take a course I have already taken in the past to upgrade my certificate?

I passed my VCP-DCV in 2019 and in 2020 I upgraded it with VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V7] – On Demand course.

Last year I attended VMware vSphere: What's New [V6.7 to V7] - On Demand.

Due to dynamics of my work I can not join live courses as I can't be sure I will be able to attend and thus on demand is all there is.

So I was looking to upgrade again with Optimize and Scale course. I found no information on this even in the upgrade policy document VMware Certification Upgrade Policy

Thanks for your answer.

All the best, Andrej

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@astefa7 
I don't think so, as it seems the principle is that you have to complete something (either training or exam) in the year 2022 to be awarded the VCP for 2022.

Ask certification@vmware.com if you want to be sure.

astefa7
Contributor
Contributor

Just to share my findings, I got a reply from VMware certification team:

"As I understand, you would like to enquire about the VCP-DCV 2022 Certification Requirements and I will certainly help you with this.

Please be informed that from the email id: xxxxxxx@yyyyyyy.com, I was able to track that you hold active VCP-DCV 2021 certificate.

In order to upgrade your VCP-DCV 2021 Certificate to VCP-DCV 2022 Certificate, I request you to complete the below requirements:

As per the policy, the candidates cannot complete the same course twice.

1.Attend one of the training courses in 2022:
- VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting [V7]
- VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V7]
- VMware vSphere: Advanced Administration Workshop [V7]
- VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale plus Troubleshooting Fast Track [V7]

Or else.

2. Pass the Professional VMware vSphere 7.x (2V0-21.20) exam

Once you complete all the requirements, VCP-DCV 2022 certificate will be generated and it will be valid for lifetime."

I asked them to point me to document containing this policy. If I get it, I will add it to this post.

Best regards, Andrej

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That's exactly as I expected, thanks for posting for the benefit of others who find this thread.

0 Kudos
JaSo2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@astefa7- I can confirm this way works at least for the VCP NV (but this should be essentially the same case for DCV as the requirements are the same) - I held the VCP NV 2021  by completing the VMware NSX-T Data Center: Install, Configure, Manage [V3.2]  OD course I have just received my VCP NV 2022. I took the on-demand course and by completing it I have fullfiled the requirement for the course and received the cert.

(it seems that doing just the Content part of the OD course is enough - OD course has 4 parts - Content (videos, quizzes etc.), Lab, Assesment and Evaluation)

0 Kudos