VMware Edu & Cert Community
dmitchell12
Contributor
Contributor

VCP-Cloud Questions

Hello all,

Working towards my VCP-Cloud. Current VCP5-DCV (since September of 2012), but have been out of VMware admin work since February of last year. I've taken vCloud Director: Install, Configure, Manage which gave me a pretty good feel for the concepts and terminology related to vCloud, but the lack of real-world hands-on experience is really hurting me in my studies for the exam.

I'm working on getting a lab setup on my Mac running Fusion 6 and have been mostly successful, although I haven't gotten vCloud Director installed yet because 5.5 seems to differ from earlier versions deployment-wise. And by that I mean VMware has only made an OVA available and no .bin, so deploying it should be relatively simple but I'm having issues uploading the OVA to my lab..I can get that sorted on my own, though.

Does anyone have any tips for what or where to study for the IaaS exam? I'm familiar with the blueprints, mock exams, and usual sites (like Elastic Sky, etc.) Keep in mind I don't manage a vCloud infrastructure yet or have access to anything other than a lab on my Macbook Pro at the moment. Has the IaaS exam been updated for 5.5 or is it still 5.1? Seems like last time I heard (November 2013) it was still 1.5, but I can't imagine that still being the case. Just trying to figure out what to expect so I can be prepared and pass on the first try.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JoshuaAndrewsVM

IaaS is still on 1.5 and still has 85 questions in 90 minutes.

When I have issues deploying an appliance to Workstation I add a nested ESXi host, deploy to it and then move the appliance out to Workstation.  You might try that.

0 Kudos
dmitchell12
Contributor
Contributor

That being said, any suggestions on how to prep for 1.5 when all VMware evaluations and resources are on 5.5?

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

You don't have the binaries for 1.5? 

The blueprint for the exam lists all the documentation item writers used to write the items.  You might also go over "what's new for 5.1" and then study 5.1 with that in mind, using the 1.5 documentation to cover DCs and networking.

0 Kudos
dmitchell12
Contributor
Contributor

Nope, not licensed for the 1.5 binaries. I only have evaluation licenses.

Been using the blueprint and some YellowBricks stuff. Also Pluralsight. I'm just glad to know the exam is still on 1.5. That's a pretty big piece of info, so thanks.

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

0 Kudos
dmitchell12
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that's helpful.

Last question: any tips for what to do about not being able to find 1.5 binaries (or any binaries for that matter?)

I really appreciate the responses.

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

I'm asking around.  VCP-Cloud is longer, but the extra material is (currently) from the 5.x VCP5-DCV.  However, VCP-Cloud currently covers 5.1 which is also not available for eval any more.   On the bright side, 5.5 and 5.1 are much closer than 1.5 and 5.5!

0 Kudos
dmitchell12
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah let me know if you can. I wish VMware would at least give us access to the binaries in an eval form so we could study. I'd prefer to take the IaaS test and not have to retake a portion of the DCV test along with the Cloud test.

0 Kudos
dmitchell12
Contributor
Contributor

Any luck on the 1.5 eval info? I'm watching the TrainSignal vCD course and 1.5 is a good bit different. One major missing component is vCenter Single Sign On. Seems to completely change the install process. Granted, 1.5 is a lot easier, but it would still be nice to have hands-on experience with the actual product I have to certify on.

0 Kudos
JoshuaAndrewsVM

No, I'm getting no traction.  I think you'd need to be a partner, instructor or have the 5.x vCD license.

0 Kudos