VMware Edu & Cert Community
M0hiz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VCP Certification

I want to start my Vmware certification journey. I am not new as I have college degree from a College and I have been working with VMware products for over 5 years. I would like to ask if it is possible to pay for the exam voucher for VCP Datacenter and do the exam, or do I have to attend a compulsory training? Kindly assist 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Ask the college.

If their training was authorised they will issue you with a special voucher on completion which allows you to take what is known as the PSE version of a VCP exam.

This is a process unique to VMware IT Academy institutions and their students.

Don't buy a voucher yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
TimVCI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

See here for the VCP-DCV mandatory training requirements…

https://www.vmware.com/learning/certification/vcp-dcv.html

0 Kudos
M0hiz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the link but I couldn't figure out what I need to do. I don't want to take the VCTA (as it would be a waste of time) or would taking it make my getting VCP easier? 

I really don't have the means to go to training and want to get the cert, that's why I am looking for answers on any alternatives.

0 Kudos
TimVCI
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you do.not hold a current VCP certification then training is mandatory for the VCP-DCV cert. 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You'll need to complete authorised training to achieve VCP-DCV.

There is no way around that unless you want to achieve the VCP-NV AND you have a CCNA (or above), then you can achieve VCP-DCV without completing authorised training because you already have VCP-NV.

If you are paying for your own training, you might have the option of taking it through a VMware IT Academy, and some of them offer the training online - find a partner here: https://www.vmware.com/company/it-academy.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
M0hiz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I attended a college that seems to be on the list of accredited colleges for VMWare training. I took lot's of VMware courses for 2 semesters as part of the rest of my program. How do I know if this has made me qualified to take the VCP. I was able to select the VCP voucher and about to purchase it. I don't know if the VMWare website allowed me to add this to my cart because I signed in with my college email. I have reached out to my professor in my school but it seems the person he took over from has all the details. Relating to the arrangement. I have been on this for about 9 months and no luck. 

Also what is the difference in paying for a Voucher that shows (online not proctored)  of $125 and the one that said it would be proctored by Pearson Vue of $250. Apart from the price, does paying for the $125 Online makes it possible to be able to take the VCP online or am I missing something.

I will appreciate if anyone can help me with my concerns. Thank you all for your responses so far.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Ask the college.

If their training was authorised they will issue you with a special voucher on completion which allows you to take what is known as the PSE version of a VCP exam.

This is a process unique to VMware IT Academy institutions and their students.

Don't buy a voucher yet.

0 Kudos
M0hiz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much for taking your time to respond, I am working on your advice and this time would use the specific point you raised.

0 Kudos
cs10
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bom dia a todos , eu quero fazer a minha certificação oficial do VCP, em 2020 eu fiz alguns treinamento pelo vendor da VMware, fiz treinamento do Cloud & Virtualização concepts, network Virtualização Concepts, e Software Defined Storage concepts,e ganhei credencias das 3, mas agora quero fazer o exame oficial da VCP.  quero começar a estudar sozinho e depois marca o exame , podem por favor partilha comigo material para estudo ? 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@cs10 So that you are able to converse in your native language, I suggest creating your own post here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Brazilian-Portuguese/ct-p/10070

0 Kudos
Lewis2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm currently a Virtualization Engineer. I do not have any VMware certs. I'm looking to get my VCP-DCV. For me to do that I will just need my CCNA, then I can get the VCP-DCV. Or is there other steps that I have to take?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@Lewis2

CCNA only has direct relevance for the VCP-NV, not the VCP-DCV.

CCNA gives you an option to achieve VCP-NV by passing an NSX exam without having to also take authorised NSX training, check the Cisco path here: https://www.vmware.com/learning/certification/vcp-nv-nsxt.html

VCP-DCV has no such path, the route for someone new to VCP-level certifications involves taking authorised vSphere training and passing a vSphere exam, as you’ll see on this page: https://www.vmware.com/learning/certification/vcp-dcv.html

The only way in which your CCNA has any “credit” towards VCP-DCV is if you achieve VCP-NV first, then you could pass a vSphere exam without having to take authorised vSphere training.