VMware Edu & Cert Community
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VCP 6 Beta Exam time frame

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the Beta dates were? start and end of the program, just wondering when it closes so i can have an idea of results being sent out.

Rich

11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've heard it runs til May 27th/28th, and it can take 8-10 weeks from then til results are given to beta test takers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
RichardBush
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks Scott,

I knew about the time frame once it closed but wasn't sure on the end of the beta dates. That helps a lot.

Rich

0 Kudos
ricmarques
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi everyone Smiley Happy

Although my VCP5-DCV certification will only expire on November 2016 - because I took the VCP5-DCV Delta Exam (VCP550D) on Nov 2014 - I decided to check the option of taking the "2V0-621D: VMware Certified Professional 6 – Data Center Virtualization Delta Beta" Exam. So, a few days ago, I requested authorization in the "VMware Education" (myLearn) website and, more or less 30 minutes after I did that, the Exam appeared as available for scheduling in the Pearson VUE website for my Pearson VUE user account.

My worry now is - as Scott Vessey has mentioned - that the latest exam date available seems to be May 27, 2015 (so, just 11 days from now) - at least for Exam Centers located here in Portugal - and it seems to me that I won't be able to prepare for the Exam within that time frame. Here's a screenshot that I took from the Pearson VUE website that shows that the latest available date is May 27:

Pearson-VUE-available-dates-for-VMware-Exam-2V0-621D.png

Under these circumstances, if I schedule "now" the Exam for May 27, will I be able to reschedule it to a date after May 27 (for example, to August 2015), or will the "Pearson VUE" website "stop me" from doing that?

Thanks in advance.

Ricardo Dias Marques - http://twitter.com/ricmarques
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You have authorisation for the beta exam, once the beta period is closed I don't think you would be able to schedule it - so no, you won't be able to schedule it for August.

The beta exam is offered at a reduced cost compared to the final exam, you will end up taking the final exam by August (assuming it is released by then).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
ricmarques
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Scott Smiley Happy

scott28tt wrote:

You have authorisation for the beta exam, once the beta period is closed I don't think you would be able to schedule it - so no, you won't be able to schedule it for August.

The beta exam is offered at a reduced cost compared to the final exam, you will end up taking the final exam by August (assuming it is released by then).

Thanks. That makes sense. I guess that my confusion was caused by my misreading of some bullet points in the How to Get Your Discount if You Met the Original Recertification Deadline | VMware Education and Cer... web page, namely the following:

[...]

• This VCP6 Recertification 65% discount may be applied for exam appointments before August 31, 2015.
  • Candidates may use the 65% discount towards the Beta or Production versions of the exam.
  • You can only use the discount once: one exam for one exam appointment. If you miss your appointment you will forfeit your discount.
  • The discount is only eligible for the following exams:
    • Exam 2V0-621: VMware Certified Professional 6 - Data Center Virtualization Exam – Beta Registration Available Now
    • Exam 2V0-631: VMware Certified Professional 6 - Cloud Management & Automation – Beta Registration Available Now
    • Exam 2V0-651: VMware Certified Professional 6 - Desktop & Mobility – Beta Registration Available Now
    • Exam 2V0-641: VMware Certified Professional 6 - Network Virtualization –Beta Registration Available Now
    • Exam 2V0-621D: VMware Certified Professional 6 - Data Center Virtualization Delta Exam – Beta Registration Available Now

But I understand now that the August 31, 2015 deadline for the "VCP6 Recertification 65% discount", in the case of the VCP-DCV, probably will:

1. apply to the "Beta" version until May 27, 2015 (given that the "Production" exam hasn't been released yet).
  2. after May 27, 2015, that 65% discount will no longer apply to the "Beta" version (because of its discontinuation) and would apply to the "Production" version of the VCP6-DCV Exam, but that will only happen when that "Prodution" Exam gets released and only for exam appointments taken before August 31, 2015

Oh well... Thanks again! Smiley Happy

Ricardo Dias Marques - http://twitter.com/ricmarques
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, I think you've got it correct now.

0 Kudos
jedcrossley
Contributor
Contributor

My VCP 5 Cert expires in just a few days, and I registered and took the VCP 6 Beta Exam today. I was surprised when I didn't receive a score, and started to look into it. My concern is that since I won't have the results by the time my current Cert Expires, does that mean I am going to have to take the required courses over again, or will they renew my certification based off the date I took the exam?

I also noticed on my exam results sheet, it states:

"If your final score is sufficient to pass the exam, you will have successfully completed one of the requirements for your VMware Certified Professional 6 Certification. To obtain this certification, you will also need to have attended a qualified Vmware course AND taken and passed the vSphere Foundations Exam."

So passing the Beta Exam means you don't have to take it again once its out of Beta, but do I really need to take the vSphere Foundations Exam too?? This is crazy

0 Kudos
silverline
Contributor
Contributor

No you don't need to take the foundations exam assuming you pass.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That was a gamble - if you pass you'll get your VCP6-DCV and renewal of your VCP5-DCV, but if you don't you'll need to take training as well as pass the final exam in order to get certified again.

You never get an immediate score with a beta exam, the beta process is used to determine what a 300 passing score will mean when the final exam is released.

0 Kudos
Administraitor
Contributor
Contributor

So what's the purpose of taking Beta exam ?

Isn't that going to be changed into the final version anyway.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So what's the purpose of taking Beta exam ?

The purpose for the individual - the cost - beta exams are only $50.

More here: Certification Program Beta Exams

0 Kudos