VMware Edu & Cert Community
jedcrossley
Contributor
Contributor

VCP 6 Beta (2V0-621D) Requirements

My VCP 5 Cert expires in just a few days, and I registered and took the VCP 6 Beta Exam today. I was surprised when I didn't receive a score, and started to look into it. My concern is that since I won't have the results by the time my current Cert Expires, does that mean I am going to have to take the required courses over again, or will they renew my certification based off the date I took the exam?

I also noticed on my exam results sheet, it states:

"If your final score is sufficient to pass the exam, you will have successfully completed one of the requirements for your VMware Certified Professional 6 Certification. To obtain this certification, you will also need to have attended a qualified Vmware course AND taken and passed the vSphere Foundations Exam."

So passing the Beta Exam means you don't have to take it again once its out of Beta, but do I really need to take the vSphere Foundations Exam too??

I have a feeling that VMware will make me start from scratch again, OR I need to get into a testing center and retake the VCP 5 Exam...

Anyone know more details or have some direction for me please?

Tags (3)
10 Replies
silverline
Contributor
Contributor

You should be fine as long as you took the exam before the expiration date.  I was just spun up and all worried about this and opened several cases with VMWare's certification support.

This is the verbiage from the very last response...

"You had contacted us for the information on Beta exam.

As per your request, please be informed that,  as you have taken Beta exam, your certification will be valid till August 17th, once the Beta results are out, if you pass the Beta exam, your previous certification will be recertified.

In case you fail the exam, you will be provided one more chance to recertify your certification by taking any other recertification exam."

jedcrossley
Contributor
Contributor

So after talking with VMware Education Services, they told me that when my current cert expires (in 3 days), VMware will revoke my certification. But after the VCP6 Beta is scored, and if I Pass, they will reinstate the new certification. So assuming I passed, I will be without a certification for 8-10 weeks, which I can't do for some business purposes. So they told me to retake the VCP 5 exam in the meantime Smiley Sad

At least they are going to let me take the VCP550D exam, which is online, which is a saving grace considering all local testing centers are now closed for Memorial Day weekend.

0 Kudos
silverline
Contributor
Contributor

Well, that's pretty weird that they provided a different answer to you than they did to me just yesterday...good luck on your exam.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

That sounds right to me, technically you won't have met your recertification deadline by meeting the recertification requirements as your beta exam result will not have been calculated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
anew1984
Contributor
Contributor

I have taken V20-621D certification yesterday, and I want if I have to completed "2V0-620" to get the VCP6-DCV successfully? I found 2V0-620 will close June 2nd, if it's requirement I'll take the certification ASAP.

0 Kudos
jedcrossley
Contributor
Contributor

I was told by VMware Education Dept that if you are renewing a cert that is currently active, there is no need to take that Foundations Exam.

I had the same question because the Score Report (which doesn't even give you a score) states that in order to get the VCP6-DCV, that you need to take the required course AND complete the foundations exam.

But I was told that is only for newbies who have no previous VCP certifications,OR, those with expired Certs.

0 Kudos
anew1984
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, it sounds good because my VCP5 will expire Augest 27, hope I can pass the new one. So I no need to got the foundations certification? even it shows in the cert path.

0 Kudos
jedcrossley
Contributor
Contributor

That is what I was told.

It makes sense for current cert holders to NOT have to take it, since it really is a foundation/basic understanding exam.

0 Kudos
anew1984
Contributor
Contributor

it makes sense, thanks!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Look under the Migration Paths tab: VCP6-DCV Certification

Path 1 applies to you, so you only need to pass 2V0-621D.

If you have failed the exam, Path 3 on the same tab will apply to you instead once you receive notification of the beta exam result.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos