VMware Edu & Cert Community
pdog1983
Contributor
Contributor

VCP 5 to VCP 7

Hi,

I have a VCP 5 certification which I know doesn't count for anything these days. I took the fastrack on vsphere 5 to get my vcp5.  I was interested in the requirements to get a VCP 7.  I went to the link https://www.vmware.com/education-services/certification/vcp-dcv.html

It says you can take any of the following:

VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V7]

VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V7]

VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting [V7]

VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V7]

VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale plus Troubleshooting Fast Track V7]

VMware vSphere: Advanced Administration Workshop [V7]

My question was can I take the optimize and scale?  If I click on the optimize and scale it shows that:

Prerequisites:  You must complete one of the following prerequisites:
•  Understanding of concepts presented in the VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V7] course
•  Equivalent knowledge and administration experience with ESXi and vCenter Server

So does this mean you have to take Install, Configure, and Manage before taking Optimize and scale?  I have been a Vmware administrator for about 10 years and haven't lost touch with it.  Optimize and Scale plus Troubleshooting Fast Track sounds like a better path but I wanted to make sure I did not have to take Install Configure and Manage first?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Moved to VCP Discussions

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you feel that you have the “equivalent knowledge” of what the ICM covers for vSphere 7 you could go straight for O&S, you could go straight for Troubleshooting, or you could go straight for the combined Fast Track that includes them both.

O&S plus Troubleshooting FT will be tough going if you don’t have the equivalent knowledge on vSphere 7 of the ICM.

I would strongly recommend looking through the topics covered in all the courses before deciding which to book.

I should also mention that there is no “VCP 7”, the current certification is VCP-DCV 2020 and it will soon be VCP-DCV 2021 - you will be awarded whichever is current st the time you complete the mandatory requirements, so likely VCP-DCV 2021. This doesn’t mean the current Professional exam on vSphere 7 will change on January 1st though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos